Dual Date Dual Denomination Coins - ANACS Pop report

  • fred_weinberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
      Sean, when I said "one or two exceptions", the sentence
      was referring to what was available in the current
      market place....not the total number of coins known.

      Also, I believe that some of those ANACS pieces are
      in PCGS holders, from the Auction, so they are duplicates.

      Yes, J. Warren was the collector who had accumulated
      the largest collection of dual date coins.

      The last Dual Date coins I am aware of are the four
      pieces I handled of 2000-dated Cents struck on 1999
      Struck Dimes - Dual Dates, Dual Century, Dual Millinium,
      and one of the rare times where "next year" dual dates
      did not have a single diget in common with each other!!

      Fred

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, seanqueue
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Part Two of my post, here are additional examples I found while
      > reading through the March 2002 ANACS population report. These are
      all
      > in addition to the Jonathan Warren collection coins in my prior
      post:

      > 1976-D cent on 1973 dime, ANACS 63 (a Denver cent over Philly dime,
      > tell me this one didn't have a little help...)
      > 1978 cent on 1977 dime, ANACS 63
      > 1982 LD cent on 1981-P dime, two listed, one ANACS 60, one ANACS 64
      > 1990 cent on 1989-P dime, ANACS 65
      > 1991 cent on 1990-P dime, ANACS 63
      > 1998 cent on 1997-P dime, two listed in addition to the two in the
      > Warren collection, one ANACS 64 and one ANACS 65
      > 1998 cent on 1997 cent, ANACS 64 RD (this may be the coin that
      started
      > this whole thread)
      > 1964-D nickel on damaged India 1940 1/4 Rupee, ANACS 60 (another
      one
      > that had a bunch of help)
      > 1981-P nickel in 1980 cent, ANACS 63RB
      > 1991-P nickel on 1990-P dime, ANACS 61 (could this be the same
      coin as
      > the one NGC garded MS64?!?)
      > 1993-P nickel on 1992 cent, ANACS 64RB
      >
      > All told, that makes twenty-four coins in the Warren collection
      plus
      > another 13 in the ANACS pops. The 91-P nickel on 90-P dime could
      be a
      > duplicate, if so that still makes an even three-dozen known, plus
      the
      > broadstrike linked in Lindy's second post.
      >
      > Sean Reynolds
      > CONECA #N-2090
    • seanqueue
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Sean, when I said "one or two exceptions", the sentence
        > was referring to what was available in the current
        > market place....not the total number of coins known.

        I understand - I'd love to know where some of the coins in the ANACS
        report are hiding. Not just the dual-denom stuff, either - the pop
        NGC but where are the other three??

        > Also, I believe that some of those ANACS pieces are
        > in PCGS holders, from the Auction, so they are duplicates.

        On second look, I think the PCGS '98 cent on '97-P dime was probably
        an ANACS crack-out. As for the other cross-over possibilities, I just
        had a hard time assuming that a coin like the '77 nickel on '76 cent,
        which ANACS graded 62BN, would cross to a PCGS 64RB. The NGC nickel
        on dime would have upgraded three points. Either way, we're talking
        about very rare errors with a total population in the low double-digits.

        > Yes, J. Warren was the collector who had accumulated
        > the largest collection of dual date coins.

        Since his name was all over that catalog, I figured it was okay to
        mention it. :)

        > The last Dual Date coins I am aware of are the four
        > pieces I handled of 2000-dated Cents struck on 1999
        > Struck Dimes - Dual Dates, Dual Century, Dual Millinium,
        > and one of the rare times where "next year" dual dates
        > did not have a single diget in common with each other!!

        I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the few error types that
        still occurs with the new presses, unless they have refined the feed
        mechanisms to prevent undersized planchets. Dual-denomination strikes
        would not be caught by the usual QC measures designed to capture coins
        out of spec for weight or size.

        Sean Reynolds
        CONECA #N-2090
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
          Thanks for compiling such a valuable list, Sean.

          I guess this particular hole in my collection will have to be filled
          by my 1978 Canadian cent struck over a 1977 Candian nickel. An
          assisted error, obviously.

          There's no way to tell which among the coins you listed were given an
          assist and which were purely accidental. Certainly the ones with a
          gap of several years are highly suspect. For those with a one year
          gap, there's no reason to suspect that they were helped along.
          Still, it strikes me as odd that dual year strikes are much rarer
          within the same denomination than between different denominations.
          You'd expect there to be at least parity.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
            I guess you could call it a "double strike with different subtypes",
            or "double strike with mismatched subtypes" or something to that
            effect. An awesome error, if real.

            Does the second strike have some of the expected signs of an
            authentic strike, e.g. collar scar, die flow lines, die
            scratches, "slide marks" along the slope leading to the second
            strike, etc.? I would assume there are no obvious signs of fakery,
            like toolmarks, EDM bumps, etc.