Dual Date Double Denomination Cents

  • fred_weinberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
      Lindy, I sold Dave Thacker many of those coins, and
      NEVER at $1,400 - they were ALWAYS in the $2,250-$3,000
      price range to Dave in the 1990's (and he resold them to
      his customer) - and the three 2000/1999's that I had sold
      for $4,500 to $5,000 in the year 2000.

      With the exception of the two dual date Cent/Cent pieces
      you mention, all of the 11C Dual Dates are from this
      collection - which was sold at last years ANA - Rich
      and I snapped them up very cheap - and have sold some
      of them for between $3,800-$4,750 this year alone...........

      With one or two exceptions, these pieces are the only ones
      on the market; once they go, I doubt there will be others
      showing up.......

      Fred
      <adkinstone@e...> wrote:
      > Yes either one of these I linked are the big bucks for sure.
      For
      > $3100 to $7500 a person should be able to still build an
      incredible
      > error collection in todays market. But if its a hole in your
      > collection you see needs a fill'n then it becomes a must have...
      >
      > Both 1c examples I linked are nice. Personally, I like lots and
      lots
      > of underlying details on incollar double strikes and the cheaper
      one
      > exhibited extreme first strike details.
      >
      > I remember back a little over 10 years ago David Thacker was
      > assisting a serious error collector build a complete date set of
      dual
      > different dated double struck error dimes. For a 15 year run it
      seemed
      > these dual different date errors were coming out of Philly
      annually.
      > Back then these dual date double struck dimes retailed at about
      > $1,400ish. They were finding their way into ANACS pop reports
      back
      > then w/o grades and thats how I "saw" them all. Back before most
      other
      > highly regarded companies encapsulated the boo boos.
      >
      > Lindy
      >
      > Rafael Delgado
      > <my_errors@y...> wrote:
      > > Nice coins. Way out of my budget though!
      > > Rafael
      > >
      > > --- mrlindy2000 <adkinstone@e...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3910832156
      > > >
      > > > I think I figured out how to shorten the second link
      > > > and have it
      > > > functional on one line. Lindy
      > > >

      > > > "mrlindy2000"
      > > > <adkinstone@e...> wrote:
      > > > >

      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&category=524&item=391083

      > > > $3,150 but instead

      > > > one closed at.

      > > Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger.
      > > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • seanqueue
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2004
        > Lindy, I sold Dave Thacker many of those coins, and
        > NEVER at $1,400 - they were ALWAYS in the $2,250-$3,000
        > price range to Dave in the 1990's (and he resold them to
        > his customer) - and the three 2000/1999's that I had sold
        > for $4,500 to $5,000 in the year 2000.
        >
        > With the exception of the two dual date Cent/Cent pieces
        > you mention, all of the 11C Dual Dates are from this
        > collection - which was sold at last years ANA - Rich
        > and I snapped them up very cheap - and have sold some
        > of them for between $3,800-$4,750 this year alone...........
        >
        > With one or two exceptions, these pieces are the only ones
        > on the market; once they go, I doubt there will be others
        > showing up.......
        >
        > Fred

        I found my copy of the B&M Baltimore ANA Auction catalog last night,
        as Fred says above it contained an impressive number of
        dual-denomination and/or dual-dated coins. All of the dual-dated
        coins were pedigreed to the collection of "Jonathan Warren," who must
        have been the customer alluded to above. There were several other
        single-date dual-denom coins (such as a Bicentennial Quarter on a
        struck 1976 dime) from the Bill Fivaz collection as well.

        I also went through my March 2002 copy of the ANACS population report,
        looking for additional examples. While Warren's collection was
        mightily impressive, there are more around and in ANACS holders than
        the "one or two exceptions" Fred mentions above. I'll cover those in
        a separate post.

        Here is the list of dual-date dual strikes from the 2003 ANA auction.
        I couldn't find my prices realized for these, but they may still be
        available from the B&M website.

        1980 cent on 1978 cent, ANACS 63BN
        1974 nickel on 1973 nickel, in a 1974 Mint Set (!!!)
        1996-P dime on 1995-P dime, ANACS 60
        1977 nickel on 1976 cent, PCGS 64RB
        1977 nickel on 1976 cent, ANACS 63RB
        1979 nickel on 1978 cent, ANACS 63RB
        2000-P nickel on 1978 cent (!!!), ANACS 64RB
        1982 cent on 1976 dime (!!!), MS64 raw
        1984 cent on 1983-P dime, ANACD 65
        1986 cent on 1985-P dime, ANACS 63
        1989 cent on 1988-P dime, PCGS 66
        1994 cent on 1993-P dime, ANACS 63
        1994-D cent on 1993-D dime, ANACS 62 (the only Denver example I found)
        1998 cent on 1997-P dime, three offered (!!!), two ANACS 65 and PCGS 66
        1999 cent on 1997-P dime, PCGS 66
        1999 cent on 1998-P dime, four offered (!!!), three ANACS 65 and one
        ANACS 66
        2000 cent on 1999-P dime, NGC 67
        1991-P nickel on 1990-P dime, NGC 64

        I'll list the other examples I found in the ANACS population in
        another post.

        Sean Reynolds
        CONECA #N-2090