Questionable double strike

    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2004
      This allegedly double struck 1963-D cent exhibits a number of
      suspicious features:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&category=524&item=3914379178

      First and foremost, the word "ONE" from the second strike is
      considerably offset. In contrast, the second strike on the obverse
      appears perfectly aligned (although naturally rotated).

      Add to that the rough appearance on both faces, the appearance of
      warping on both faces, and the fact that the first strike is as well
      preserved in the field as where it is overlapped by the second
      strike. All signs point to a coin struck by fake dies.

      This year was a very productive one for struck counterfeits.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009

        I have my doubts about this double-struck silver quarter:

        quarter

        The second strike is a bit weak, leading to incomplete peripheral letters.  That, in itself, is not a fatal flaw, but I've seen a few too many silver quarters recently that look like this.  Ultimately, a determination as to whether the second strike was delivered by fake dies would depend on close inspection under a microsope.  I've only handled one double-struck silver quarter that looked similar to this, and it was a fake.

        Perhaps others have greater experience with these.

      • TheOcean1@aol.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
            Interesting observation, but the difference in strength of the leaves could certainly be due to the higher effective striking pressure in this area of the off-center strike. Then again, the weak/absent peripheral letters would indicate weaker-than-normal overall pressure, so we may have a clear inconsistency here. Thanks, Bill.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, TheOcean1@... wrote:

            > look closely at the leaves (reverse), do they look the same as the original
            > strike?
            >
            > No microscope required.
            >
            > Bill
          • dermestid
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 30

              The second strike on this 1942D cent looks very suspicious:

              1942? D COPPER US ONE CENT WHEAT PENNY DIE ERROR DOUBLE STRUCK COIN

              Unless the obverse die was strongly tilted, the absence of second-strike elements to the left of Lincoln's face is inexplicable. Moreover, the degree of offset on the obverse face is much greater than that seen on the reverse face.