Mated Pair brockage question

  • trialsmatt
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2004
      I have a question for the board. Imagine you have a mated pair caused
      by a single strike, so that one planchet overlaps the second and they
      both recieve a strike from the dies. Now you have one piece which is
      offcenter and uniface, and another struck on-center but with an
      indent for the other planchet's struck portion to fit into. Is there
      any way for there to be brockaged design in that indent while
      remaining a true mated pair? Can the strike transfer design through
      the uniface piece, or can there only be brockage when a previously
      struck coin is used to indent another? Thanks..Matt
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2004
        Hi Matt. It's been a while. Nice of you to pop in. I hope your
        studies are progressing well.

        A brockage is impossible if two planchets are struck together.
        However, it IS possible for there to be an unusually strong "ghost
        image" of either the reverse design, the obverse design, or both.
        The die's design can bleed through the thinned metal of either coin.
        I have seen occasional ghosts so strong that they were mistaken for
        brockages. You mentioned this possibility in your question when you
        brought up "strike transfer design through the uniface piece".

        It is also possible to "enhance" an indent or a uniface surface by
        pressing a struck coin into the available blank surface while the
        opposite face is supported by hard rubber or a similar firm, but
        giving surface. I don't see this done very often, however.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "trialsmatt"