Collar operation

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2004
      I read in the latest Coin World (April 19, 2004; page 18) that the
      anvil die in a Schuler press is stationary while the collar moves up
      and down. This is the reverse of the Bliss press, which is reported
      to have an anvil die that moves up and down on a cam while the collar
      remains stationary.

      At least the collar still surrounds the neck of the anvil die, so
      collar marks remain a reliable sign of which die was the anvil die.

      There have been many makes and models of presses used over the years
      (Bliss, Graebner, Schuler, Columbia) and mint workers themselves
      sometimes make modifications to those models.