Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: J.T. Stanton and "die polish doubling"

  • Peggy McClinton
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2004
      Hello Mike,
           As I can't tell the differance I am reading and learning (I hope) By reading the posts and saving them to a folder  I have them for referance .Good Luck Teacher, sometimes students dont have questions or objections. As of now I will just be happy to be able to give a good discription of a coin,and wish ya'll luck.

      Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:
      Well, that was deeply unsatisfying. :(

      If no one steps up to the plate to defend "die polish doubling", then
      then my only option would be to conclude that it is the product of
      wishful thinking.  Someone would have to refute the specific
      objections I raised in my previous post point-by-point, and would
      also have to present positive evidence that supports the idea that
      die polishing can cause doubling like that seen in the "poorman's
      doubled die".

      I will leave open the possibility that die polishing can occasionally
      cause doubling such as that presented by John Wexler in his appendix
      in the Cherrypicker's Guide (4th edition, pp.375-378).  In the
      specimens he photographed, doubling IS associated with heavy die
      scratches and attenuation of design elements.  The doubling affects
      more centrally located design elements and is very different looking
      from the doubling found in the last digit of 1947, 1948, 1953, and
      1955 cents.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, jtstanton@a...

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2004
        I haven't had any luck uploading J.T.'s article. It might be the
        fault of my slow dial-up connection. I've asked J.T. if he'd do the
        honors.

        I also strongly recommend that you buy the 4th edition of The
        Cherrypicker's Guide to Rare Die Varieties. Volume 1 has been out
        for a while and Volume 2 should be out within the next few months.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Peggy McClinton
        <gatorbaitmad@y...> wrote:
        > Hello Mike,
        > As I can't tell the differance I am reading and learning (I
        hope) By reading the posts and saving them to a folder I have them
        for referance .Good Luck Teacher, sometimes students dont have
        questions or objections. As of now I will just be happy to be able to
        give a good discription of a coin,and wish ya'll luck.
      • j_t_wax
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2004
          <mdia1@a...> wrote:
          > I haven't had any luck uploading J.T.'s article. It might be the
          > fault of my slow dial-up connection. I've asked J.T. if he'd do
          the
          > honors.

          For those interested you can download the monograph from my website
          located here:

          http://varietynickels.com/varieties.htm

          Regards,

          Jason Taylor
          CONECA Seat 8
          Web Master - www.varietynickels.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2004
            Thank you, Jason.

            Please be sure to add your website to the "Links" section.

            I encourage all ECIE members to visit Jason's site devoted to
            Jefferson nickels. He's worked hard on it and it shows.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, j_t_wax