Lost items

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
      In the last three months I've had two coins disappear on their way to
      me. Fortunately, they were both low budget errors of minor
      importance. Because of that, neither was insured. This serves to
      demonstrate the level of risk involved in sending coins through the
      mail.

      So the reluctance of some folks to send their precious specimens
      through the mail is quite understandable. I've been lucky that no
      truly irreplaceable specimens have been lost in the mail either
      coming or going.
    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
        Well I will say something about that one myself. I have had mail
        being sent to me, check's and coin's that have been lost here in the
        mail also. I am talking to the post master out here and they don't
        help a bit. I'm am mad, VERY MAD at my carrier that don't run until
        10:00pm at night!! Who want's to pay for your mail when all they do
        is lose your mail? I think my mail carrier is pulling off the road
        and going through my mail, as I spoke to the post master at the
        office this week, "nothing they can do"! Who want's to pay UPS or
        FEDEX for shipping at the local auction's? I was also told that the
        collectable coin's cannot be insured in the USPS mail system anymore,
        what is this about? Anyway, I am just venting on the mail issue's,
        sorry but, our USPS mail stink's....

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2004
          In these two instances I'm quite sure everything is on the up and
          up. One coin was sent from a friend as a gift, and the other from an
          honest dealer that I've known for years. It's possible that they
          printed my address wrong on the labels, or the USPS simply dropped it
          into their black hole.

          Over the last six years, I think I've only had four coins disappear
          on their way to me. No coins I've sent have disappeared. That's
          still a pretty good record. I still like the post office, but if
          their insurance is a sham and if other services to it better and
          cheaper, I will consider switching.

          <adkinstone@e...> wrote:
          > Bummer! I actually pressure sellers insure everything, especially
          since I am paying the upcharge.. I tend to think the extra $1.30
          > charge is an official confirmation the item was really sent to me.
          If you paypaled these sellers you could contest the charge, but you
          > need to do this in 30 days. Not 31or 32. In any case you should
          consider filing a complaint with both ebay and paypal. If there is a
          > recorded history of this they will eventually ban the seller. As a
          seller I insure everything, even when I misquote the fees in my ads.
          > Concerning the uninsureability of coins through the post office,
          it would be really nice to know what the real story for 2004 is? Are
          > numismatic items covered or not in 2004? I am sending ALL my
          heavier items throgh Fed Ex ground now. Its shocking how much less
          > FEDEX ground is. Most recent example: 28 pound tripod sent 1/2 way
          across the US and insured for $175, post office fee $67.00, Fed
          > Ex ground fee $18.71. A fraction of the delivery charge and up to
          the minute tracking too.