Re: Found 1995-D-Jefferson Nickel the color looks odd,dull looking color

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
      Your photo does not supply enough information for us to arrive at a
      conclusion. It could simply be a discolored, corroded nickel. It
      could have been subjected to chemical attack (an "acid job"). It
      could be a very late die state (struck by worn dies). It could have
      been "struck through grease". What we'd need is a whole shot of both
      faces of the coin, and in better focus.

      Right now, I'd wager on a discolored, corroded nickel.

      The weight of your nickel falls well within the normal range of
      variation for nickels.

      "Ring" is not a reliable criterion for distinguishing abnormal alloys
      or off-metal compositions. Even among a normal sample of nickels,
      the ring will vary quite a bit. Still, it can sometimes provide the
      first clue that something is not right.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "dale3littlee"