Re: Smashed Reed

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      It still sounds like a damaged coin to me. If one of the reeds is
      pushed to one side, that could only occur as the result of post-
      strike damage. A "split reed" is also incompatible with a genuine
      error. Bumps on the rim are also indicators of post-strike damage.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "nightfog12000"
      <smokeatillyjoe1@n...> wrote:
      > I do not have anyway to take a photo.There is two places on this
      > coin that is damaged.I see a reed that looks pushed in and over to
      > one side up against the next reed.You can still see the face of the
      > reed but it looks almost sliced off in a very thin layer.The other
      > reed is about 1/3 of the way around the coin.That reed is split
      > right down the middle into two parts.The face of the coin only
      shows
      > two little bumps.The reeds in both places stop at the same
      > depth,they are not open at the top only at the bottom.I wish I
      could
      > send a photo.
    • nightfog12000
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
        This is a 2003 proof coin.There is no other marks on anyother reeds
        around the reeds that are messed up.How could something make the
        marks?--- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
          Proofs can be damaged, just like any other coin. Admittedly, this
          happens far less often, but it does happen. I can't tell you during
          which step in processing and packaging the damage was inflicted.