Found 1995-D-Jefferson Nickel the color looks odd,dull looking color

  • dale3littlee
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2004
      1995-d jefferson nickel it looks like a dull finish on it the obv&rev.
      it weighs 4.9 and it sounds different than any other nickel,just
      wondering any body know any thing about this one.I put photo in odds
      and in,s folder. thanks Dan.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
        Your photo does not supply enough information for us to arrive at a
        conclusion. It could simply be a discolored, corroded nickel. It
        could have been subjected to chemical attack (an "acid job"). It
        could be a very late die state (struck by worn dies). It could have
        been "struck through grease". What we'd need is a whole shot of both
        faces of the coin, and in better focus.

        Right now, I'd wager on a discolored, corroded nickel.

        The weight of your nickel falls well within the normal range of
        variation for nickels.

        "Ring" is not a reliable criterion for distinguishing abnormal alloys
        or off-metal compositions. Even among a normal sample of nickels,
        the ring will vary quite a bit. Still, it can sometimes provide the
        first clue that something is not right.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "dale3littlee"