Smashed Reed

  • nightfog12000
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004
      What kind of error would a smashed reed be?? It dose not look like
      something hit it.It looks like it was made that way.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004
        There's no such term as a "smashed reed". We would need a much more
        detailed description before we could even begin to figure out what
        you're talking about.

        Some coins have weak reeding, due to a wide variety of causes.

        A "filled collar" could cause weak reeding and a corresponding
        depression in the edge. This is a very rare error.

        If the reeding looks smashed, it most probably is. That is, it would
        be some sort of damage that occurred after the strike.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "nightfog12000"
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004
          I do not have anyway to take a photo.There is two places on this
          coin that is damaged.I see a reed that looks pushed in and over to
          one side up against the next reed.You can still see the face of the
          reed but it looks almost sliced off in a very thin layer.The other
          reed is about 1/3 of the way around the coin.That reed is split
          right down the middle into two parts.The face of the coin only shows
          two little bumps.The reeds in both places stop at the same
          depth,they are not open at the top only at the bottom.I wish I could
          send a photo.
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
            It still sounds like a damaged coin to me. If one of the reeds is
            pushed to one side, that could only occur as the result of post-
            strike damage. A "split reed" is also incompatible with a genuine
            error. Bumps on the rim are also indicators of post-strike damage.

            <smokeatillyjoe1@n...> wrote:
            > I do not have anyway to take a photo.There is two places on this
            > coin that is damaged.I see a reed that looks pushed in and over to
            > one side up against the next reed.You can still see the face of the
            > reed but it looks almost sliced off in a very thin layer.The other
            > reed is about 1/3 of the way around the coin.That reed is split
            > right down the middle into two parts.The face of the coin only
            shows
            > two little bumps.The reeds in both places stop at the same
            > depth,they are not open at the top only at the bottom.I wish I
            could
            > send a photo.
          • nightfog12000
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
              This is a 2003 proof coin.There is no other marks on anyother reeds
              around the reeds that are messed up.How could something make the
              marks?--- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
                Proofs can be damaged, just like any other coin. Admittedly, this
                happens far less often, but it does happen. I can't tell you during
                which step in processing and packaging the damage was inflicted.