Nickel struck through shifted cap bottom

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2004
      Here's yet another example of normally oriented, incuse design
      elements:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2220343264

      Judging from the relatively narrow, relatively shallow "zone of
      collapse" at the northern end of the coin, it was probably struck
      through the detached bottom of a late-stage obverse die cap that
      shifted prior to the strike. However, I can't exclude the
      possibility of the entire cap having fallen off and shifted.
      Usually, when the entire cap shifts, the vertical wall is crushed
      into the planchet, leaving a much wider and deeper impression in the
      finished coin.

      Although I have plenty of other examples of this kind of error, I
      thought this one rather attractive, so I couldn't resist adding just
      one more.