Re: Fake double-struck quarter?

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 10, 2003
      By "center of gyration" I assume you are referring to the center of
      rotation.

      Anyway, you are correct, the fainter image is both rotated and offset
      relative to the "normal" design. Since it's clear that two different
      dies were used, a rotation should not be surprising. It's the offset
      that needs explaining, provided it's a genuine error, which is rather
      doubtful.

      I had to do some real mental gymnastics to explain the offset,
      conjuring up visions of a weak, tilted, uniface strike or, somewhat
      more likely, a weak, slightly off-center "invisible strike". Both
      consitute special pleading and are more in the nature of thought
      exercises than anything else. The slightly out-of-round
      circumference of the coin must, in my opinion, be due to post-strike
      damage, if we are to salvage the hope that it is a real error.

      The only thing that makes me pull up short about condemning the thing
      outright is the fact that the appearance of a genuine double strike
      has been so faithfully duplicated in areas where the two designs
      overlap.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Delgado