Puzzling partial brockage

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2003
      Here's an error that is puzzling from a number of standpoints:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&category=524&item=2202118650

      I have seen many similar partial brockage/indent combos which feature
      the same characteristics:

      1. A brockage on one side of divide and a featureless area on the
      other side.
      2. The boundary between the two areas is either a ridge, as in this
      specimen, or two closely spaced parallel grooves.
      3. The internal border features a double curve, with a notch
      separating the two curves. The position of the notch closely
      approximates the location of the ridge/grooves, but sometimes there's
      an offset.

      It's hard to conceive of this topography being created by a simple
      off-center cent, a cent and a planchet side-by-side in a chain strike
      arrangement, or an overlapping cent and planchet.

      Maybe there's a simple explanation, like the solution to the formerly
      perplexing stepped indents that appeared over the past few years.
      But, just like in that case, I'd need to see a mated pair to solve
      the puzzle.