[Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: Fake double-struck quarter? Probably

  • pwrwgndrvr
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2003
      Yes, exactly Robert, who's got the time for so much effort for so
      little return? Unless they are striking them by the roll and spending
      them. But printing bills would bring a much higher return than
      striking qtrs. Maybe its a random error from a counterfeiting
      operation. There's a whole new subset of error coins to collect - US
      mint errors and Counterfeiting mint errors. LOL

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "robert wilharm"
      <robert.wilharm@v...> wrote:
      > One collar ,one die or set of dies. How much money? One Error
      coin. How much money? Its not like you could do thousands from the
      same die set. The Dies would be noticed and that many errors the
      source would be noticed. I do not think that is a profitable endeavor
      but Yes it could be done by someone with a lot of time an their
      hands. Some people even buy minting presses to produce bogus coins.
      Counterfeiting and fraud is a risky business. I am not deaf nor do I
      have any no cent nickels to gold plate. LOL
      > Robert

      Diamond"
> [...]
      strike"
      > > failed to leave a strong impression and where you have the
      lowest
      > > effective striking pressure (e.g., below QUARTER DOLLAR and on
      the
      > > areas of high relief on the "second strike"). This is exactly
      the
      > > pattern you'd expect to see if the normal strike really did
      follow
      > > upon the abnormal strike. The scrape marks are largely or
      > completely
      > > obliterated where the effective striking pressure was highest
      > during
      > > the "second strike", (e.g., the field and the areas of lower
      > > relief). Again, this is the pattern you'd expect if the normal
      > > strike really did follow the abnormal first strike. Look
      around
      > > LIBERTY. The letters are flattened and the die scratches are
      > > obliterated. Now look around QUARTER DOLLAR. The scratches
      are
      > > strongest beneath the lower set of letters left by the
      > > abnormal "first strike". This is an area relatively untouched
      by
      > > the "second strike".
      > >
      > > I still can't believe the coin is good, but it's real spooky
      how
      > the
      > > expected pattern of a real double strike has been duplicated
      with
      > > absolute fidelity.
      > >
      > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, pwrwgndrvr
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > > Its not that easy to give up on this. The understrike is just
      too
      > > > perfect. I put a couple more super closeup scans in the
      album.
      > > Click
      > > > on them to get the maximum size. Even these scans leave out
      many
      > > > details that can be seen with personal inspection. U really
      have
      > > > see it to appreciate the complexity of it. Particularly note
      the
      > > > raised understrike letters on top of the overstrike letters
      where
      > > > they cross. Specifically the understrike Q raised on the
      > overstrike
      > > > and A, the understrike U raised on the overstrike A, the
      > > understrike
      > > > R raised on the overstrike E, the understrike T raised on the
      > > > overstrike R, the bottom of the understrike I in liberty
      raised
      > on
      > > > the overstrike Q, the top of the understrike T in liberty
      raised
      > on
      > > > the bottom of the overstrike Y, the understrike Y raised on
      the
      > > > overstrike bust, and on and on.
      > > > I agree with Mike that the oversize seems to be damning, but
      Im
      > > > reluctant to consider that as absolute proof. There very well
      may
      > > be
      > > > some unknown situation that allowed this to occur that nobody
      > knows
      > > > about. Sure its too big, but there is no flaw whatsoever that
      > can
      > > > find in the 2 strikes. If it was done outside the mint, it
      would
      > > have
      > > > to be with fake dies and there is just no flaw in the designs.
      > > > There is also the possibility that this was done by night
      shift
      > > > artists inside the mint. The title of this thread "fake
      double
      > > > strike?" is inaccurate. There is no doubt that this is a real
      > coin
      > > > and that it has been struck twice. The question is whether it
      was
      > > > random error produced by the minting process, or was it
      > > intentionally
      > > > created by some person outside of normal minting processes,
      > either
      > > in
      > > > or outside of the mint? In any event, it does exist, albeit
      with
      > > > massive conundrum.
      > > >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.