Re: Coin World vs Mint

  • Rich Schemmer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
      As I have not read that particular article in Coin World.. I can not
      really say what it contained.. My info was strickly what has be
      written within these posts!

      BUT! Watson
      This I can tell you... Everytime I've been to the Mint over the past
      10 years, I've NEVER seen a press start up that required "several
      hundred strikes" to get to the proper pressure. All the presses were
      up to or near the proper pressure when started. Adjustments occurred
      when die spacing, replacemnt, or repairs were required.. NO steam
      there watson.. Just high powered electric motors, on the newer
      presses, Flywheels are not even visable if there are any?

      Don't know what experience the IG has with Mint coin production.. I
      would suspect none! most likely a high supervisery politial position
      that depends on answers from other sources...

      Time to go back to school, Profess.. LOL
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
        The Coin World article (November 3, 2003) references a report from
        the Treasury Department's Office of Inspector General. They, in
        turn, rely on information from a press operator who says that "The
        presses can be set to strike only one coin, but that setting does not
        result in a "clear image" from the dies. The press has to strike
        several hundred coins (presses do not reach the needed level of
        striking pressure right away) before fully struck coins are produced
        and it is after these coins are inspected tht the press is allowed to
        complete its production".

        So this nameless press operator is directly contradicting the
        information you've collected on your trips to the mint.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Schemmer"