interesting little error

  • Nico
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2003
      Here is another penny i have and noticed it has a die break? on the
      number 1 of 1957. Instead of looking like a 1 it looks like (almost
      exactly like) an "r". But on closer inspection, it looks like an
      upside down L but with a shorter leg. It does not look like a dot
      right on the one but more like a square. I though it was kina
      interesting :-) Check it out in the files section.

      Nico
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 12, 2003
        This is a small die chip. You've also got one in the upper third of
        the loop of the 9.

        When a small piece of the die breaks off it leaves a pit in the die
        face which then leaves a corresponding lump on the coin.

        The digits of the date and the letters of LIBERTY are the most common
        location for die chips in Lincoln cents, especially those of the
        1950's and early 1960's.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Nico"