Uncir 2003 Illinois quarter

  • lindentreed
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2003
      Has anybody else gotten a very poorly struck obverse where the LI of
      Liberty is missing, and, the E of We and the end T of Trust of In God
      We Trust is missing?
      This was purchased directly fr. the US Mint.
      Thanks one and all.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        The effect you describe is very common.

        It may be due to a slight accumulation of die fill ("grease", "mint
        gunk") in these particular design elements on the die face.

        It could also be due to a slightly weak strike. If the strike is
        just a tad weak, the most peripheral design elements are the ones
        that are usually affected.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "lindentreed"