Die crack or minor split die

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2003
      Hi there,
      http://www.condorcoins.com/errores/200-pta-cracks.htm
      What do you think??
      Regards
      Benjamin
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20, 2003
        This looks like a "retained cud". The letters "PINT" appear to be
        sitting on a plateau that's raised above the rest of the design, and
        that plateau is demarcated by three die cracks.

        A retained cud occurs when a piece of the die breaks off but is
        nevertheless held in place. The vast majority of retained cuds occur
        on the anvil die, because the collar holds the fragment in place.

        If it's on the face that was struck by the hammer die, then the
        fragment was likely held in place by the clamp that anchors the die
        in its recess. For that to happen the fracture has to propagate far
        up enough to reach the straight shank of the die.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Ben"
        <insano@a...> wrote:
        > Hi there,
        > http://www.condorcoins.com/errores/200-pta-cracks.htm
        > What do you think??
        > Regards
        > Benjamin
      • Ben
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20, 2003
          Why in the opposite pole of the reteined CUD there are missing
          details of the Mintmark (M) and its offset.
          Look:
          http://www.condorcoins.com/errores/200-pta-cracks.htm

          All the best
          Benjamin

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 21, 2003
            The mintmark seems well-struck to me. What exactly is missing?

            Certainly, in a normal retained cud the opposite pole should be
            unaffected.