Re: Fractured 5c Obv die

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 2003
      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Schemmer"
      <RichErrors@a...> wrote:

      > I disagree with your description Mike..
      > What you describe as a struck thru area is actially a portion of
      the
      > face of the die (layer) missing in the center of Jefferson which
      > gives that struck thru die appearance.

      That's impossible, Rich. If this part of the die had spalled off or
      was pushed in, then the corresponding area of the coin would be
      raised. Instead, the area on the coin is recessed, exactly as one
      would expect from a strike-through error.

      >The die split from k12-k4

      Agreed.

      > a portion of the die from k4-8 is either raising or the portion of
      > the die is depresed k8-12 that causes that cap die mushy appearance.

      The mushy appearance is no different than what you'd see in any
      capped die strike or any coin struck through a thin layer of metal.
      Also, as you are no doubt aware, split dies are very often associated
      with capped dies.

      > There are also die crack at k1, k7 & k8. From what I examined was a
      > truly a fractured die.

      Again, I saw no accessory die cracks, even under high magnification.
      Believe me, I looked long and hard for them. That's why I returned
      the coin. I was expecting a shattered die and all I got was a split
      die with a complicated strike-through error.

      However, if you and the person you bought it for are happy, then
      enjoy!