Re: "Bugs Bunny" Franklin Half "Variety"

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2003
      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, hspindel
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > I have always drawn the line between errors and varieties a little
      > differently than you, Mike.
      >
      > I say a variety is a die feature intentionally created by the
      mint.
      > Therefore, things like OVD, doubled dies, RPD are clearly varieties.

      But doubled dies, repunched dates, repunched mintmarks, etc., are not
      intentional variations. They are mishaps during the production of a
      die. Still, they are most assuredly "die varieties".

      > A clash is not an intentional creation of the mint - it is an
      > accidental creation because the dies came together without an
      > intervening planchet. So, I'd say old Bugs is an error, not a
      > variety.

      Agreed. A "die error", according to the PDS system.

      > By this logic, die gouges are also no varieties. They were
      > unintentionally caused by a careless mint worker.
      >
      > This way you don't have to worry about whether a die is newly
      > installed or not when making the distinction.

      Makes sense to me.
    • pwrwgndrvr
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
        <mdia1@a...> wrote:
        > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, hspindel
        > <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > But doubled dies, repunched dates, repunched mintmarks, etc., are
        not
        > intentional variations. They are mishaps during the production of
        > die. Still, they are most assuredly "die varieties".

        Mike, I disagree with this. A doubled die IS a mishap, and I would
        prefer to call it an "error"...are not "mishap" and "error"
        synonymous?

        RPD's and RPM's are NOT mishaps. They were INTENTIONALLY made by a
        technician. How could anything be MORE intentional than fitting a
        punch into a worn mintmark and repunching it?
        Thus, to me they are "varieties".

        I really like Howard's logic.