Re: What is this?

  • maaswhole
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 7, 2003
      Coins like this lave me scratching my head in wonder, because how can
      somebody be sophisticated enough to turn out a fake die and then use
      it to make an implausible coin like this?

      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 7, 2003
        You see all levels of sophistication, from crude jobs like this to
        very convincing counterfeits that can fool experienced collectors.

        Making a fake die is not necessarily an involved process. You can
        press a cent into a cent blank or copper slug and then mount the
        latter on a dowel or metal cylinder.

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 17, 2004
          I can't figure out what kind of error this is, or even if it IS an
          error:

          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3907535579

          It's not a split die because it fails to reach the rim at either
          pole. Also the design continues on top of it. It appears stronger
          in the field than over the design. I suppose it could be some sort
          of die damage, or even an example of "die subsidence". But I
          hesitate to fork over this much money for such a long shot. I can't
          pay in Euros, anyway.
        • bull102797
          Message 4 of 26 , May 27 7:27 PM
            How did this happen?

            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
            ViewItem&item=3976105954&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6
          • bull102797
            Message 5 of 26 , May 27 7:30 PM
              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "bull102797"
              <bull102797@y...> wrote:
              > How did this happen?
              >
              > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
              > ViewItem&item=3976105954&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

              Try this:

              http://tinyurl.com/7bwbr
              Message 6 of 26 , May 27 9:21 PM
                The photos are less than ideal, but it does not appear to be a genuine
                error. The reverse looks flattened in the fashion of a coin that's
                been squashed. I also seem to detect some raised lines crossing the
                reverse, which would be another warning sign. These may be positive
                impressions of deep grooves in the the surface the coin was flattened
                against.

              • bull102797@YAHOO.COM
                Message 7 of 26 , May 27 9:25 PM
                  If it is not real. How come Rich Schemmer bidded on
                  it?

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 27 9:32 PM
                    I can't answer for Rich. I can only report my impressions.

                    The obverse vaguely resembles a flipover double strike through a die
                    cap on the second strike. But the reverse is a real problem for me.

                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "bull102797@Y..."
                  • bull102797@YAHOO.COM
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 27 9:40 PM
                      Maybe Rich would enlighten us.

                      --- Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:
                      > I can't answer for Rich. I can only report my
                      > impressions.
                      >
                      > The obverse vaguely resembles a flipover double
                      > strike through a die
                      > cap on the second strike. But the reverse is a real
                      > problem for me.
                      >
                      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                      > "bull102797@Y..."
                      > <bull102797@y...> wrote:
                      > > If it is not real. How come Rich Schemmer bidded
                      > on
                      > > it?

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Rich Schemmer
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 28 7:24 PM
                        --- In
                        <bull102797@y...> wrote:
                        > If it is not real. How come Rich Schemmer bidded on
                        > it?
                        > HI
                        Even Rich Schemer bids on curious items?? Just caught my
                        attention, had a return privilage if it turned out to be fake.. (I
                        think) I usually ask for one if I have some doubts on the coin..
                        Coin looks like it may be bad, Not sure with out a up close look!
                        But it caught my attention.. By the way I sometimes buy counterfiets
                        for teaching purposes at the ANA Summer Seminar courses.. SO don't
                        believe everytime Fred W., Mike D. or someothers bid on an item it
                        must be "real". Especially if we're not bidding big $$ LOL
                        Thanx
                        Rich
                        Rich Schemmer Error Coins
                        http://WWW.RichErrors.com/store.php
                        > --- Mike Diamond <mdia1@a...> wrote:
                        > > The photos are less than ideal, but it does not
                        > > appear to be a genuine
                        > > error. The reverse looks flattened in the fashion
                        > > of a coin that's
                        > > been squashed. I also seem to detect some raised
                        > > lines crossing the
                        > > reverse, which would be another warning sign. These
                        > > may be positive
                        > > impressions of deep grooves in the the surface the
                        > > coin was flattened
                        > > against.
                        > >
                        > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                        > > "bull102797"
                        > > <bull102797@y...> wrote:
                        > > > How did this happen?
                        > > >

                        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3976105954

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Peaceful Forces
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
                        • jdrose_com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
                            I am guessing that it was buried for many years and then the corrosion was cleaned away. Leaving the mounds of denser, harder metal near the devices.

                            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Peaceful Forces" <humanrad@...> wrote:

                            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230390630378&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_991wt_958
                            >
                            > Thank you!!!
                            >
                            > ~Chef Ito~

                          • jeff ylitalo
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
                              Chef Ito, the coin appears to have taken an extended and rough 'acid' bath, (altered outside the mint).

                              I've encountered at least a dozen coins having the same diffused, soft look of all the die-struck design on either face.

                              Jeff

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
                                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, jeff ylitalo <jylitalo@...> wrote:

                                > (altered outside the mint).

                                Exactly. You distilled it perfectly.
                              • Michael
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
                                  Someone messed with it outside the Mint. It seems to have some characteristics of "rippled" coins, which, legend has it, are produced by rotating wire brushes. I doubt that explanation is correct, but rippled coins are definitely not mint errors.