What is this?

  • maaswhole
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 6, 2003
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 6, 2003
        While the poor resolution of the pictures precludes an absolute
        condemnation of the specimen, I am pretty confident that this coin
        was struck numerous times with fake dies. The extreme weakness of
        the strikes is suspicious as is the large number of strikes. And,
        although I can't be positive, it looks like some areas on the reverse
        have been flattened and warped.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, maaswhole
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3033579452
      • Steve Mills
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 6, 2003
          I also like this from the ad:

          "struck five times on the front and once on the back"

          and immodesty compels me to mention my anti-hosing rules from earlier today (1,
          2 and 3 in particular here):

          1. I'm convinced that a fuzzy picture is generally not the incompetence of the
          seller, purposeful deception in most cases.
          2. I have been outright screwed mostly from sellers in a certain part of the
          country - I'm convinced it's more than coincidence. I stay away.
          3. "I don't know if it's real....." - they know and it's not.
          4. Grandpa didn't know errors either.

          Later.....
          Steve

          Error Type Collection:
          http://www.five0central.com/ErrorCollection/Five0ErrorTypeSet.htm

          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 6, 2003
            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Mills"
            <steve@i...> wrote:
            > I also like this from the ad:
            >
            > "struck five times on the front and once on the back"

            Yeah, that about ices it.
          • maaswhole
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 7, 2003
              Coins like this lave me scratching my head in wonder, because how can
              somebody be sophisticated enough to turn out a fake die and then use
              it to make an implausible coin like this?

              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 7, 2003
                You see all levels of sophistication, from crude jobs like this to
                very convincing counterfeits that can fool experienced collectors.

                Making a fake die is not necessarily an involved process. You can
                press a cent into a cent blank or copper slug and then mount the
                latter on a dowel or metal cylinder.

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 17 1:01 PM
                  I can't figure out what kind of error this is, or even if it IS an
                  error:

                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3907535579

                  It's not a split die because it fails to reach the rim at either
                  pole. Also the design continues on top of it. It appears stronger
                  in the field than over the design. I suppose it could be some sort
                  of die damage, or even an example of "die subsidence". But I
                  hesitate to fork over this much money for such a long shot. I can't
                  pay in Euros, anyway.
                • bull102797
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 27, 2005
                    How did this happen?

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                    ViewItem&item=3976105954&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6
                  • bull102797
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 27, 2005
                      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "bull102797"
                      <bull102797@y...> wrote:
                      > How did this happen?
                      >
                      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                      > ViewItem&item=3976105954&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

                      Try this:

                      http://tinyurl.com/7bwbr
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 27, 2005
                        The photos are less than ideal, but it does not appear to be a genuine
                        error. The reverse looks flattened in the fashion of a coin that's
                        been squashed. I also seem to detect some raised lines crossing the
                        reverse, which would be another warning sign. These may be positive
                        impressions of deep grooves in the the surface the coin was flattened
                        against.

                      • bull102797@YAHOO.COM
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 27, 2005
                          If it is not real. How come Rich Schemmer bidded on
                          it?

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 27, 2005
                            I can't answer for Rich. I can only report my impressions.

                            The obverse vaguely resembles a flipover double strike through a die
                            cap on the second strike. But the reverse is a real problem for me.

                            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "bull102797@Y..."
                          • bull102797@YAHOO.COM
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 27, 2005
                              Maybe Rich would enlighten us.

                              --- Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:
                              > I can't answer for Rich. I can only report my
                              > impressions.
                              >
                              > The obverse vaguely resembles a flipover double
                              > strike through a die
                              > cap on the second strike. But the reverse is a real
                              > problem for me.
                              >
                              > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                              > "bull102797@Y..."
                              > <bull102797@y...> wrote:
                              > > If it is not real. How come Rich Schemmer bidded
                              > on
                              > > it?

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Rich Schemmer
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 28, 2005
                                <bull102797@y...> wrote:
                                > If it is not real. How come Rich Schemmer bidded on
                                > it?
                                > HI
                                Even Rich Schemer bids on curious items?? Just caught my
                                attention, had a return privilage if it turned out to be fake.. (I
                                think) I usually ask for one if I have some doubts on the coin..
                                Coin looks like it may be bad, Not sure with out a up close look!
                                But it caught my attention.. By the way I sometimes buy counterfiets
                                for teaching purposes at the ANA Summer Seminar courses.. SO don't
                                believe everytime Fred W., Mike D. or someothers bid on an item it
                                must be "real". Especially if we're not bidding big $$ LOL
                                Thanx
                                Rich
                                Rich Schemmer Error Coins
                                http://WWW.RichErrors.com/store.php
                                > --- Mike Diamond <mdia1@a...> wrote:
                                > > The photos are less than ideal, but it does not
                                > > appear to be a genuine
                                > > error. The reverse looks flattened in the fashion
                                > > of a coin that's
                                > > been squashed. I also seem to detect some raised
                                > > lines crossing the
                                > > reverse, which would be another warning sign. These
                                > > may be positive
                                > > impressions of deep grooves in the the surface the
                                > > coin was flattened
                                > > against.
                                > >
                                > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                                > > "bull102797"
                                > > <bull102797@y...> wrote:
                                > > > How did this happen?
                                > > >

                                > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3976105954

                                > http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Peaceful Forces
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
                                • jdrose_com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
                                    I am guessing that it was buried for many years and then the corrosion was cleaned away. Leaving the mounds of denser, harder metal near the devices.

                                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Peaceful Forces" <humanrad@...> wrote:

                                    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230390630378&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_991wt_958
                                    >
                                    > Thank you!!!
                                    >
                                    > ~Chef Ito~

                                  • jeff ylitalo
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
                                      Chef Ito, the coin appears to have taken an extended and rough 'acid' bath, (altered outside the mint).

                                      I've encountered at least a dozen coins having the same diffused, soft look of all the die-struck design on either face.

                                      Jeff

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
                                        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, jeff ylitalo <jylitalo@...> wrote:

                                        > (altered outside the mint).

                                        Exactly. You distilled it perfectly.
                                      • Michael
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
                                          Someone messed with it outside the Mint. It seems to have some characteristics of "rippled" coins, which, legend has it, are produced by rotating wire brushes. I doubt that explanation is correct, but rippled coins are definitely not mint errors.