RE: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: Overweight?

  • Steve Mills
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
      Mike,

      Thanks or the note. It brought me out of an embarrassing stupor on this coin.
      I'd been using the chart from Margolis book and I KNEW that a steel cent didn't
      weigh 3.11 grams, but I mindlessly followed the chart (the grains are correct
      at 42.50, but I tend to use grams). All of the sudden it's seriously
      overweight! There's not much to see in a picture except the high rims, but here
      it is FWIW:

      http://www.five0central.com/ebay/personal/thicksteelcent.jpg

      I bought this on eBay for $5.50. It was actually described as a 1943 Thick
      Cent. It was one of those times I assumed I got hosed since there was no
      interest in the coin. May work out.

      Again, thanks for the response

      Later.....
      Steve

      Error Type Collection:
      http://www.five0central.com/ErrorCollection/Five0ErrorTypeSet.htm

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
        The coin is in beautiful shape. A very nice score.

        I first went to Arnie's book and quickly noticed the discrepancy
        between the grains column and the grams column. I then checked Alan
        Herbert's book to see which value was entered incorrectly.

        Considering that 1944 "experimental" thick cents (about 4.2g) sell
        for several hundred bucks in uncirculated condition, your coin, which
        is even rarer, should hopefully match or exceed that price. All
        steel cent errors seem to be in great demand, with a value many times
        that of an equivalent bronze cent error.

        Of course, I could be wrong in my market assessment. After all, the
        1944 cent has been hyped as "experimental", even though there is
        absolutely no evidence to support this extravagent claim. The last
        thing the government would do at the height of WWII is waste more
        copper on a thicker cent.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
          Come to think of it, I've never seen or heard of a rolled-thin 1943
          cent either. Find one of those and you'll have an unmatched, matched
          pair. :)