Re: Overweight?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
      You're darned tootin' this is collectible! According to Alan
      Herbert, a normal steel cent should weigh 42.5 grains, which
      translates as 2.75 grams. So your coin is way over tolerances. It's
      also the first overweight steel cent that I've ever heard of.

      I can say with confidence that your thick steel cent is quite rare
      and quite valuable.

      Care to give us the story behind it? Lucky find in a junk box? Ebay
      cherrypick?

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Mills"
      <steve@i...> wrote:
      > I've got a steelie here that weighs 3.40 grams.
      >
      > Is this enough to be considered "thick" or collectible? I hadn't
      seen one
      > before.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Later.....
      > Steve
    • Steve Mills
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
        Mike,

        Thanks or the note. It brought me out of an embarrassing stupor on this coin.
        I'd been using the chart from Margolis book and I KNEW that a steel cent didn't
        weigh 3.11 grams, but I mindlessly followed the chart (the grains are correct
        at 42.50, but I tend to use grams). All of the sudden it's seriously
        overweight! There's not much to see in a picture except the high rims, but here
        it is FWIW:

        http://www.five0central.com/ebay/personal/thicksteelcent.jpg

        I bought this on eBay for $5.50. It was actually described as a 1943 Thick
        Cent. It was one of those times I assumed I got hosed since there was no
        interest in the coin. May work out.

        Again, thanks for the response

        Later.....
        Steve

        Error Type Collection:
        http://www.five0central.com/ErrorCollection/Five0ErrorTypeSet.htm

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
          The coin is in beautiful shape. A very nice score.

          I first went to Arnie's book and quickly noticed the discrepancy
          between the grains column and the grams column. I then checked Alan
          Herbert's book to see which value was entered incorrectly.

          Considering that 1944 "experimental" thick cents (about 4.2g) sell
          for several hundred bucks in uncirculated condition, your coin, which
          is even rarer, should hopefully match or exceed that price. All
          steel cent errors seem to be in great demand, with a value many times
          that of an equivalent bronze cent error.

          Of course, I could be wrong in my market assessment. After all, the
          1944 cent has been hyped as "experimental", even though there is
          absolutely no evidence to support this extravagent claim. The last
          thing the government would do at the height of WWII is waste more
          copper on a thicker cent.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
            Come to think of it, I've never seen or heard of a rolled-thin 1943
            cent either. Find one of those and you'll have an unmatched, matched
            pair. :)