Re: Interesting indent

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2003
      I'm not sure I understand the scenario. Perhaps it's best to hold
      all further speculation until I examine the coin. It's also wise to
      employ Occam's Razor whenever possible, choosing the simplest
      explanation among an array of possibilities.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Delgado
      <my_errors@y...> wrote:
      > Since speculation is probably the previous step to the
      > formulation of a hypothesis, let me suggest that the
      > eliptical clad might have started as a die cap picked
      > up from a previous coin. Thus might be the happening
      > and the centering.
      > E. of S.
      > Rafael

    • maaswhole
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2003
        In light of our discussion, we may have to call it a "struck through
        planchet fragment", rather than an indent. Although if you can
        squeeze the word elliptical in there somehow, like "struck through
        fragment of an elliptical planchet" it sounds a little more unique.
        Not that it matters much, but proper nomenclature
        is important.
        Gee Mike, I'm surprised you didn't correct me. :)

        <mdia1@a...> wrote:
        > I'm not sure I understand the scenario. Perhaps it's best to hold
        > all further speculation until I examine the coin. It's also wise
        > employ Occam's Razor whenever possible, choosing the simplest
        > explanation among an array of possibilities.
        >
        > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Delgado
        > <my_errors@y...> wrote:
        > > Since speculation is probably the previous step to the
        > > formulation of a hypothesis, let me suggest that the
        > > eliptical clad might have started as a die cap picked
        > > up from a previous coin. Thus might be the happening
        > > and the centering.
        > > E. of S.
        > > Rafael

      • maaswhole
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 8, 2003
          Speaking of struck through planchet fragment, I think that's what I
          got here:

          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032023588

          Sold as a lamination, and it looks like one because of the
          striations, but normal weight and normal or higher than normal
          presure in the indented area, along with finning of the rim there
          too, all lead me to believe it was struck through a laminated
          planchet fragment. I figured that because the striations match what a
          split planchet look like.
          There are also some marks that were struck into the area which are
          faint and not visible in the scan, it almost looks like the "E" from
          one cent on a cent reverse, but I might be seeing things.
          Any thoughts?

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, maaswhole

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 8, 2003
            You are substantially correct. I believe that this coin was indented
            by a split planchet. Whether it was split-before-strike or split-
            after-strike is anybody's guess, as the striated face was struck into
            the coin.

            I can't evaluate the possible faint letter trace, but it would be
            unlikely. A faint, isolated letter would indicate a very weak
            strike. A split planchet with such a weak strike would have to be
            quite thin (assuming everything else about the strike was normal).
            And a thin planchet would have let through a strong ghost image in
            the indented area. I see hardly any ghost image of the obverse
            design in the indented area.

            Regardless, it's a nice find.

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Speaking of struck through planchet fragment, I think that's what I
            > got here:
            >
            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032023588
            >
            > Sold as a lamination, and it looks like one because of the
            > striations, but normal weight and normal or higher than normal
            > presure in the indented area, along with finning of the rim there
            > too, all lead me to believe it was struck through a laminated
            > planchet fragment. I figured that because the striations match what
            > split planchet look like.
            > There are also some marks that were struck into the area which are
            > faint and not visible in the scan, it almost looks like the "E"
            from
            > one cent on a cent reverse, but I might be seeing things.
            > Any thoughts?

          • pwrwgndrvr
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2003
              I agree with that. Shape is the same as if indented by a planchet. I
              would not expect a lamination to so closely resemble a planchet. The
              other observations definitely support that conclusion too.

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Speaking of struck through planchet fragment, I think that's what I
              > got here:
              >
              > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032023588
              >
              > Sold as a lamination, and it looks like one because of the
              > striations, but normal weight and normal or higher than normal
              > presure in the indented area, along with finning of the rim there
              > too, all lead me to believe it was struck through a laminated
              > planchet fragment. I figured that because the striations match what
              > split planchet look like.
              > There are also some marks that were struck into the area which are
              > faint and not visible in the scan, it almost looks like the "E"
              from
              > one cent on a cent reverse, but I might be seeing things.
              > Any thoughts?
              >

              > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, maaswhole
              > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > In light of our discussion, we may have to call it a "struck
              > through
              > > planchet fragment", rather than an indent. Although if you can
              > > squeeze the word elliptical in there somehow, like "struck
              through
              > > fragment of an elliptical planchet" it sounds a little more
              unique.
              > > Not that it matters much, but proper nomenclature
              > > is important.
              > > Gee Mike, I'm surprised you didn't correct me. :)
              > >
              > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
              Diamond"