Overweight?

  • Steve Mills
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
      I've got a steelie here that weighs 3.40 grams.

      Is this enough to be considered "thick" or collectible? I hadn't seen one
      before.

      Thanks!

      Later.....
      Steve
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
        You're darned tootin' this is collectible! According to Alan
        Herbert, a normal steel cent should weigh 42.5 grains, which
        translates as 2.75 grams. So your coin is way over tolerances. It's
        also the first overweight steel cent that I've ever heard of.

        I can say with confidence that your thick steel cent is quite rare
        and quite valuable.

        Care to give us the story behind it? Lucky find in a junk box? Ebay
        cherrypick?

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Mills"
        <steve@i...> wrote:
        > I've got a steelie here that weighs 3.40 grams.
        >
        > Is this enough to be considered "thick" or collectible? I hadn't
        seen one
        > before.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Later.....
        > Steve
      • Steve Mills
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
          Mike,

          Thanks or the note. It brought me out of an embarrassing stupor on this coin.
          I'd been using the chart from Margolis book and I KNEW that a steel cent didn't
          weigh 3.11 grams, but I mindlessly followed the chart (the grains are correct
          at 42.50, but I tend to use grams). All of the sudden it's seriously
          overweight! There's not much to see in a picture except the high rims, but here
          it is FWIW:

          http://www.five0central.com/ebay/personal/thicksteelcent.jpg

          I bought this on eBay for $5.50. It was actually described as a 1943 Thick
          Cent. It was one of those times I assumed I got hosed since there was no
          interest in the coin. May work out.

          Again, thanks for the response

          Later.....
          Steve

          Error Type Collection:
          http://www.five0central.com/ErrorCollection/Five0ErrorTypeSet.htm

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
            The coin is in beautiful shape. A very nice score.

            I first went to Arnie's book and quickly noticed the discrepancy
            between the grains column and the grams column. I then checked Alan
            Herbert's book to see which value was entered incorrectly.

            Considering that 1944 "experimental" thick cents (about 4.2g) sell
            for several hundred bucks in uncirculated condition, your coin, which
            is even rarer, should hopefully match or exceed that price. All
            steel cent errors seem to be in great demand, with a value many times
            that of an equivalent bronze cent error.

            Of course, I could be wrong in my market assessment. After all, the
            1944 cent has been hyped as "experimental", even though there is
            absolutely no evidence to support this extravagent claim. The last
            thing the government would do at the height of WWII is waste more
            copper on a thicker cent.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
              Come to think of it, I've never seen or heard of a rolled-thin 1943
              cent either. Find one of those and you'll have an unmatched, matched
              pair. :)