The Gambler's Code

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
      As an illustration of the "gambler's code" that I play by, there is
      the 1984 nickel with the alleged "reverse partial collar" (post
      #3046).

      I won that auction and am looking forward to examining that nickel
      along with the other coins.

      Now, I know that it's highly unlikely that it is a reverse partial
      collar. Since I bid with that realization, I feel it wouldn't be
      right to return the coin if, as in all liklihood, it turns out to be
      something else.

      It would be wonderful if it turns out to be a reverse partial collar,
      as that would beat the next earliest example (in a contemporary coin)
      by 8 years. It would be equally wonderful if it is a case of a
      collar that was deployed too high.

      It may be that I won't be able to figure out why the edge is funky
      looking. Again, that's no reason to return the coin. I should be
      able to figure out if it's a fake. If it is, I still won't return
      the coin, as it's part of a large lot that I didn't pay all that much
      for.

      Basically, if I take a gamble knowing beforehand that the error is
      probably something other than what has been described, then I feel I
      should keep it, regardless of what it turns out to be.

      I don't expect others to play by these rules. They're just my
      conception of fair play.
    • Steve Mills
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
        Mike,

        I'll have to admit playing by similar rules. I have a little pile of eBay crap
        that I keep as a reminder not to get too adventuresome, though.

        I have a few rules that have reduced the amount of garbage that I buy:

        1. I'm convinced that a fuzzy picture is generally not the incompetence of the
        seller, purposeful deception in most cases.
        2. I have been outright screwed mostly from sellers in a certain part of the
        country - I'm convinced it's more than coincidence. I stay away.
        3. "I don't know if it's real....." - they know and it's not.
        4. Grandpa didn't know errors either.

        Later.....
        Steve

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
          I've got a steelie here that weighs 3.40 grams.

          Is this enough to be considered "thick" or collectible? I hadn't seen one
          before.

          Thanks!

          Later.....
          Steve
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
            You're darned tootin' this is collectible! According to Alan
            Herbert, a normal steel cent should weigh 42.5 grains, which
            translates as 2.75 grams. So your coin is way over tolerances. It's
            also the first overweight steel cent that I've ever heard of.

            I can say with confidence that your thick steel cent is quite rare
            and quite valuable.

            Care to give us the story behind it? Lucky find in a junk box? Ebay
            cherrypick?

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Mills"
            <steve@i...> wrote:
            > I've got a steelie here that weighs 3.40 grams.
            >
            > Is this enough to be considered "thick" or collectible? I hadn't
            seen one
            > before.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Later.....
            > Steve
          • Steve Mills
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
              Mike,

              Thanks or the note. It brought me out of an embarrassing stupor on this coin.
              I'd been using the chart from Margolis book and I KNEW that a steel cent didn't
              weigh 3.11 grams, but I mindlessly followed the chart (the grains are correct
              at 42.50, but I tend to use grams). All of the sudden it's seriously
              overweight! There's not much to see in a picture except the high rims, but here
              it is FWIW:

              http://www.five0central.com/ebay/personal/thicksteelcent.jpg

              I bought this on eBay for $5.50. It was actually described as a 1943 Thick
              Cent. It was one of those times I assumed I got hosed since there was no
              interest in the coin. May work out.

              Again, thanks for the response

              Later.....
              Steve

              Error Type Collection:
              http://www.five0central.com/ErrorCollection/Five0ErrorTypeSet.htm

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
                The coin is in beautiful shape. A very nice score.

                I first went to Arnie's book and quickly noticed the discrepancy
                between the grains column and the grams column. I then checked Alan
                Herbert's book to see which value was entered incorrectly.

                Considering that 1944 "experimental" thick cents (about 4.2g) sell
                for several hundred bucks in uncirculated condition, your coin, which
                is even rarer, should hopefully match or exceed that price. All
                steel cent errors seem to be in great demand, with a value many times
                that of an equivalent bronze cent error.

                Of course, I could be wrong in my market assessment. After all, the
                1944 cent has been hyped as "experimental", even though there is
                absolutely no evidence to support this extravagent claim. The last
                thing the government would do at the height of WWII is waste more
                copper on a thicker cent.
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 6, 2003
                  Come to think of it, I've never seen or heard of a rolled-thin 1943
                  cent either. Find one of those and you'll have an unmatched, matched
                  pair. :)