Thrifty eBay shopping

  • maaswhole
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2003
      I wondered why more folks don't use the automatic bidding software
      when they shop eBay.
      Early bidding is great for the seller and he gets top dollar that
      way, but as a buyer, I hate when early bidding drives up the price on
      things I'm interested in.
      Because about half the bidders are using bidding programs to win
      their bids, it means those who are not, lose auctions more often and
      pay higher prices when they win, so it's not fair to them.
      Another problem with early bidding is that when a well known error
      expert or retailer has placed a bid, it is now known by all that this
      coin is most likely not only authentic, but also worth more than his
      bid.
      I know when I'm pressed for time I will go to the search feature and
      take a look at what Fred, Allen, Mike, ect. are bidding on, not to
      bid against them, but to see almost exclusively interesting stuff,
      without the trash. I have to think many others do this and aslo
      wonder how they ever win an auction.
      If I have a few spare bucks and I'm looking to win, I go through all
      the auctions for something that "spins my wheels" and use
      http://classic.esnipe.com/ to place my bid at the last second.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2003
        I never really explored automatic bidding. Your reasoning is
        probably accurate for most situations. I'm not sure how many people
        peek over my shoulder to see what I'm bidding on. I take a lot of
        gambles and play a lot of hunches, only a fraction of which pay off.
        As a result, I end up with quite a few stinkers. I do not return
        them if the description tallies with what an uneducated individual
        would notice. I do not return them if there is only a vague
        description that simply describes it as an "error". If the coin is
        an error (even a worthless one) then the auction description was
        accurate. It wouldn't be fair to return a coin under such
        circumstances, even with a "no questions asked" policy. Call it a
        gambler's code, if you will.

        I will explore the link you gave us. Thanks for the suggestion, Mike.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, maaswhole