Re: Interesting indent

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 5, 2003
      I'll certainly give you all a full report. Establishing the identity
      of the object with absolute certainty is, of course, impossible.
      However, if it really is an elliptical strike-through, an elliptical
      clad layer is by far the most likely candidate.

      Still, all sorts of wierd, unidentifiable stuff ends up in the
      striking chamber. Check out Figure 7 in my on-line article
      on "invisible strikes":

      http://conecaonline.org/content/InvisibleStrikesMDiamond.html

      That nickel was struck through a thin, roughly circular object about
      the size of a dime. Its outline is too irregular for a dime clad
      layer, so I don't know what the heck it was.

      As Terry (pwrwgndrvr) indicated, the vast majority of loose clad
      layers fall off blanks or planchets during the blanking process or
      afterward. This should apply to misshapen blanks as well as normal
      blanks.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, pwrwgndrvr
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > It is not that unusual for a clad layer to come off - note the many
      > missing clad coins available on the market. Most come off in the
      > blanking press or the upset mill. A few more come off during the
      > strike. Contrary to the popular misconception, most missing clad
      > errors are NOT from being punched at the end of a strip where the
      > clad layer ran out on one side. Most started out as fully clad
      > planchets, then lost a layer as mentioned. So it is not overly rare
      > to have an elliptical clad layer floating around. I have a MA qtr
      > that was struck thru a multi struck elliptical clad layer. Pics may
      > still be in the album somewhere and it is also available at the B&M
      > auction at the ANA show, end of this month.
      > btw - the evidence that dispels any dispute as to where most
      missing
      > clads originate is as follows. If/when they come from the end of
      the
      > strip, there will always be at least 5 (when punching qtrs)
      planchets
      > punched out with a partial missing clad, since there is no way to
      > draw a straight line across the punched strip without bisecting at
      > least 5 holes. Therefore, the population of partial missing clads
      > would be significant, if this was where the missing clads mostly
      came
      > from. The fact is, they are very scarce, yet the population of
      > missing clad errors is large. This large disproportion proves that
      > few missing clads come from the end of the strip.
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, maaswhole
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > > I see mike wanted it and won it, so I hope he lets us know.
    • Rafael Delgado
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2003
        Since speculation is probably the previous step to the
        formulation of a hypothesis, let me suggest that the
        eliptical clad might have started as a die cap picked
        up from a previous coin. Thus might be the happening
        and the centering.
        E. of S.
        Rafael

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 6, 2003
          I'm not sure I understand the scenario. Perhaps it's best to hold
          all further speculation until I examine the coin. It's also wise to
          employ Occam's Razor whenever possible, choosing the simplest
          explanation among an array of possibilities.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Delgado
          <my_errors@y...> wrote:
          > Since speculation is probably the previous step to the
          > formulation of a hypothesis, let me suggest that the
          > eliptical clad might have started as a die cap picked
          > up from a previous coin. Thus might be the happening
          > and the centering.
          > E. of S.
          > Rafael

        • maaswhole
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6, 2003
            In light of our discussion, we may have to call it a "struck through
            planchet fragment", rather than an indent. Although if you can
            squeeze the word elliptical in there somehow, like "struck through
            fragment of an elliptical planchet" it sounds a little more unique.
            Not that it matters much, but proper nomenclature
            is important.
            Gee Mike, I'm surprised you didn't correct me. :)

            <mdia1@a...> wrote:
            > I'm not sure I understand the scenario. Perhaps it's best to hold
            > all further speculation until I examine the coin. It's also wise
            > employ Occam's Razor whenever possible, choosing the simplest
            > explanation among an array of possibilities.
            >
            > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Delgado
            > <my_errors@y...> wrote:
            > > Since speculation is probably the previous step to the
            > > formulation of a hypothesis, let me suggest that the
            > > eliptical clad might have started as a die cap picked
            > > up from a previous coin. Thus might be the happening
            > > and the centering.
            > > E. of S.
            > > Rafael

          • maaswhole
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2003
              Speaking of struck through planchet fragment, I think that's what I
              got here:

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032023588

              Sold as a lamination, and it looks like one because of the
              striations, but normal weight and normal or higher than normal
              presure in the indented area, along with finning of the rim there
              too, all lead me to believe it was struck through a laminated
              planchet fragment. I figured that because the striations match what a
              split planchet look like.
              There are also some marks that were struck into the area which are
              faint and not visible in the scan, it almost looks like the "E" from
              one cent on a cent reverse, but I might be seeing things.
              Any thoughts?

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 8, 2003
                You are substantially correct. I believe that this coin was indented
                by a split planchet. Whether it was split-before-strike or split-
                after-strike is anybody's guess, as the striated face was struck into
                the coin.

                I can't evaluate the possible faint letter trace, but it would be
                unlikely. A faint, isolated letter would indicate a very weak
                strike. A split planchet with such a weak strike would have to be
                quite thin (assuming everything else about the strike was normal).
                And a thin planchet would have let through a strong ghost image in
                the indented area. I see hardly any ghost image of the obverse
                design in the indented area.

                Regardless, it's a nice find.

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Speaking of struck through planchet fragment, I think that's what I
                > got here:
                >
                > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032023588
                >
                > Sold as a lamination, and it looks like one because of the
                > striations, but normal weight and normal or higher than normal
                > presure in the indented area, along with finning of the rim there
                > too, all lead me to believe it was struck through a laminated
                > planchet fragment. I figured that because the striations match what
                > split planchet look like.
                > There are also some marks that were struck into the area which are
                > faint and not visible in the scan, it almost looks like the "E"
                from
                > one cent on a cent reverse, but I might be seeing things.
                > Any thoughts?

              • pwrwgndrvr
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 8, 2003
                  I agree with that. Shape is the same as if indented by a planchet. I
                  would not expect a lamination to so closely resemble a planchet. The
                  other observations definitely support that conclusion too.

                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Speaking of struck through planchet fragment, I think that's what I
                  > got here:
                  >
                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032023588
                  >
                  > Sold as a lamination, and it looks like one because of the
                  > striations, but normal weight and normal or higher than normal
                  > presure in the indented area, along with finning of the rim there
                  > too, all lead me to believe it was struck through a laminated
                  > planchet fragment. I figured that because the striations match what
                  > split planchet look like.
                  > There are also some marks that were struck into the area which are
                  > faint and not visible in the scan, it almost looks like the "E"
                  from
                  > one cent on a cent reverse, but I might be seeing things.
                  > Any thoughts?
                  >

                  > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, maaswhole
                  > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > > In light of our discussion, we may have to call it a "struck
                  > through
                  > > planchet fragment", rather than an indent. Although if you can
                  > > squeeze the word elliptical in there somehow, like "struck
                  through
                  > > fragment of an elliptical planchet" it sounds a little more
                  unique.
                  > > Not that it matters much, but proper nomenclature
                  > > is important.
                  > > Gee Mike, I'm surprised you didn't correct me. :)
                  > >
                  > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
                  Diamond"