Re: Interesting indent

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2003
      Really, really interesting.

      My best guess is that it was struck through a clad layer that split
      off from an elliptical clip quarter blank or planchet. There appear
      to be two narrow unaffected crescents at the top and bottom of the
      reverse. The ghost image of the reverse design is rather strong,
      which would indicate a relatively thin piece of metal.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, RichErrors@a...
      wrote:
      > In a message dated 7/5/2003 8:47:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
      >
      > > <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=3032521853">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=3032521853</A>

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2003
        It took a while, but I finally got the 1998 quarter with the peculiar
        indent on the reverse. Indeed, upon examination, it proved to be
        exactly what I thought it was -- struck through an elliptical clad
        layer. There is a thin crescent of die-struck design at the top and
        the bottom.

        Most likely the clad layer split off from an elliptical clip quarter
        blank at some point and entered the striking chamber beneath a normal
        quarter planchet. It's very nice that it was so perfectly centered.

        The only drawback is that it's a low-end AU. Still, it's a very rare
        error and a bargain, I think, at $63.

        This makes a nice companion for my dime with an embedded elliptical
        clad layer.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2003
          I have now posted a photo of this coin in the "indents and strike-
          thru's" album.

          <mdia1@a...> wrote:
          > It took a while, but I finally got the 1998 quarter with the
          peculiar
          > indent on the reverse. Indeed, upon examination, it proved to be
          > exactly what I thought it was -- struck through an elliptical clad
          > layer. There is a thin crescent of die-struck design at the top
          and
          > the bottom.
          >
          > Most likely the clad layer split off from an elliptical clip
          quarter
          > blank at some point and entered the striking chamber beneath a
          normal
          > quarter planchet. It's very nice that it was so perfectly centered.
          >
          > The only drawback is that it's a low-end AU. Still, it's a very
          rare
          > error and a bargain, I think, at $63.
          >
          > This makes a nice companion for my dime with an embedded elliptical
          > clad layer.
        • Rafael Delgado
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 27, 2003
            Beautiful coin! Congratulations.