Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Interesting indent

  • RichErrors@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2003
      In a message dated 7/5/2003 8:47:46 AM Eastern Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032521853

             It think it's a little shallow to a full size Planchet for that indent!  especially if the reverse dies design was still transferred thru it, more likely a clad layer from another quarter or some other round planchet size thin scrap??
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2003
        Really, really interesting.

        My best guess is that it was struck through a clad layer that split
        off from an elliptical clip quarter blank or planchet. There appear
        to be two narrow unaffected crescents at the top and bottom of the
        reverse. The ghost image of the reverse design is rather strong,
        which would indicate a relatively thin piece of metal.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, RichErrors@a...
        wrote:
        > In a message dated 7/5/2003 8:47:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
        >
        > > <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
        ViewItem&item=3032521853">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
        ViewItem&item=3032521853</A>

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2003
          It took a while, but I finally got the 1998 quarter with the peculiar
          indent on the reverse. Indeed, upon examination, it proved to be
          exactly what I thought it was -- struck through an elliptical clad
          layer. There is a thin crescent of die-struck design at the top and
          the bottom.

          Most likely the clad layer split off from an elliptical clip quarter
          blank at some point and entered the striking chamber beneath a normal
          quarter planchet. It's very nice that it was so perfectly centered.

          The only drawback is that it's a low-end AU. Still, it's a very rare
          error and a bargain, I think, at $63.

          This makes a nice companion for my dime with an embedded elliptical
          clad layer.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 26, 2003
            I have now posted a photo of this coin in the "indents and strike-
            thru's" album.

            <mdia1@a...> wrote:
            > It took a while, but I finally got the 1998 quarter with the
            peculiar
            > indent on the reverse. Indeed, upon examination, it proved to be
            > exactly what I thought it was -- struck through an elliptical clad
            > layer. There is a thin crescent of die-struck design at the top
            and
            > the bottom.
            >
            > Most likely the clad layer split off from an elliptical clip
            quarter
            > blank at some point and entered the striking chamber beneath a
            normal
            > quarter planchet. It's very nice that it was so perfectly centered.
            >
            > The only drawback is that it's a low-end AU. Still, it's a very
            rare
            > error and a bargain, I think, at $63.
            >
            > This makes a nice companion for my dime with an embedded elliptical
            > clad layer.
          • Rafael Delgado
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 27, 2003
              Beautiful coin! Congratulations.