Fake double struck nickel

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2003
      I've posted in the "fakes" album a picture of a fake double struck
      nickel in which the first strike looks weak and the second strike
      looks like a sandwich strike.

      Instead what apparently happened was that someone took an ordinary
      nickel and placed a nickel planchet (or similar sized disc)
      underneath the reverse. Then the two coins were compressed between
      two flat plates.

      While the uniface area on the reverse is somewhat convincing-looking,
      the "uniface" area on the obverse is flat as a pane of glass and is
      even with the flattened surface of the coin adjacent to it.

      Much of the rest of the coin is flattened. The peripheral letters
      and numbers are mashed down, as is Jefferson's face.

      It seems that the two plates were pitted, as the flattened areas on
      both faces are covered with innumerable small bumps. These resemble
      the bumps on the reverse of the problematic "hex" nickel that may be
      seen in the "oddball errors" album. I've sent my coin on to the
      owner of the hex nickel so that he can make comparisons.