Re: Nickel on clad planchet!?

  • pwrwgndrvr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2003
      Mike, if its struck on a dime planchet, and the die distance is set
      low enough, the strike will be strong. I think the copper ring around
      the edge may be that the copper core expanded more than the clad
      layers. Especially considering that the core is much thicker than the
      clad layers, and therefore there is more material in the core, it
      seems obvious that the core would squeeze out past the clad layers,
      when not retained by the collar. Is the fissure u see simply the edge
      of the clad layer, where the core has risen up around the edge, much
      like the coins struck thru a clipped planchet?

      <mdia1@a...> wrote:
      > The weight on the slab reads 3.2 grams. According to my
      > calculations, this is exactly the weight you'd expect of a nickel
      > struck on dime stock.
      >
      > It's odd, then, that the strike is so strong. The vast majority of
      > nickels struck on dime planchets are weakly struck. This weakness
      is
      > even more unexpected than a well-struck dime stock quarter
      (quarters
      > being thinner than nickels). However, provided there was an
      > unusually small minimum die distance, a strong strike is certainly
      > within the realm of possibility.
      >
      > I see Fred Weinberg purchased the coin. He might want to check out
      > the coin's specific gravity along with its composition. Such a
      > strong strike suggests the possibility that the specific gravity is
      > lighter than that of a dime.

      > <mdia1@a...> wrote:
      > > Here's a 1971-D nickel purportedly struck on a clad planchet:
      > >
      > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3031415070
      > >
      > > It's certainly a bizarre looking coin and it's certainly not
      > > a "normal-looking" wrong planchet or wrong stock error.
      > >
      > > Both the obverse and the reverse have a circular, circumferential
      > > fissure lying just inside the rim. Similar fissures are
      associated
      > > with rolling folds, struck-in rim burrs, and embedded scraps.
      Fred

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2003
        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, pwrwgndrvr
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > Mike, if it's struck on a dime planchet, and the die distance is
        set
        > low enough, the strike will be strong.

        Yes, whether it's a dime planchet or dime stock, if the minimum die
        distance is unusually small, you'll get a strong strike. But this is
        quite uncommon among the numerous nickel-on-dime planchets that I've
        seen.

        I think the copper ring around
        > the edge may be that the copper core expanded more than the clad
        > layers. Especially considering that the core is much thicker than
        the
        > clad layers, and therefore there is more material in the core, it
        > seems obvious that the core would squeeze out past the clad layers,
        > when not retained by the collar. Is the fissure u see simply the
        edge
        > of the clad layer, where the core has risen up around the edge,
        much
        > like the coins struck thru a clipped planchet?

        I know what you're saying, but this is entirely different. On those
        rare occasions when the copper core does extrude past the outer clad
        layers (most often seen in off-center strikes) there is no fissure.

        The circular fissure seen in this 1971-D nickel, on Fred's three
        wierd quarters, and on Fred's Kentucky quarter-on-dime planchet, is
        quite dramatic and indicates that some overhanging metal was struck
        into the coin. Exactly how the planchets were damaged or altered
        prior to the strike to create this effect, I couldn't say. My best
        guess is that they were severely compressed in some rotating squeeze
        device. It may be a malfunctioning or improperly adjusted upset mill
        (that's the most likely candidate), but who really knows?