1969-S nickel on dime planchet -- a puzzle

    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2003
      Here is a 1969-S nickel struck on a dime planchet:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3024114217

      Nothing too unusual about that. There are quite a few 1968-S and
      1969-S nickels on dime planchets known.

      What's curious is that these are all purported to be struck on proof
      dime planchets. The only dimes San Francisco was striking at this
      time were proofs.

      However, if you look at the weakly struck areas on this coin, you'll
      see the small nicks and dings that are typical of a business strike
      planchet. Proof planchets are supposed to be highly polished.

      So what was an ordinary dime planchet doing at the San Francisco
      mint? Did they perhaps use some for striking proofs? Were ordinary
      planchets produced elsewhere and then polished at the SF mint? Did
      this one then escape this final step and end up in a nickel hopper?
      Lots of questions, lots of possibilities.

      No longer can one assume that all these nickels, or for that matter
      if ANY of these nickels were struck on proof dime planchets.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 14, 2003
        Excellent detective work, Lindy. I see that the 1969 1/10 balboa
        uses the same planchet as our dimes. And nearly 1.4 million of those
        were struck in that year. Raises an interesting question of how
        you'd classify this error type. It's both a domestic and a foreign
        planchet!

        <adkinstone@e...> wrote:
        > I disagree that the 69-S 5c on 10c are on proof planchets also
        Mike.
        > The reason: Califonia struck Panama uncs and proofs from 1966 thru
        the
        > early mid 70's. And Panama coins share the same planchets as the
        US.
        > I would assume thats why the slab houses never grade these
        as "proof"
        > but instead issue "unc" grades.
        > Panama striking errors are my speciality. I love those San
        Fransico