Article on grading mistakes now online

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2 12:55 PM

      This information will come as no surprise to most folks here:

      Professional grading of errors a hit-and-miss proposition

    • numismistake
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2 2:01 PM
        Mike, Is a 'wheel burn' the same as a 'counter skid' that doesn't appear to wash off after the strike?
      • Robert Risi
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2 2:02 PM
          Yes. Same thing. Counting wheel mark or skid mark same.

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2 2:28 PM
            I haven't encountered the term "counter skid", but I assume it's the same thing as a wheel burn.
          • Robert Risi
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2 3:17 PM
              I've seen and heard that term but I know for a fact that NGC uses the term wheel mark. Even the faintest mark they won't assign a numerical grade and I really don't know why. But I've seen errors where they did grade them, maybe cause it was on the blank area of an off center coin but maybe they just missed it.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Aug 2, 2014, at 5:28 PM, "mdia1@... [errorcoininformationexchange]" <errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              I haven't encountered the term "counter skid", but I assume it's the same thing as a wheel burn.

            • sherwood_park_pennies
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2 6:01 PM
                Well written Mike... the main Canadian grading company up here in the Great White North simply does not grade errors. The other company, well, let's just say your points regarding weak strikes ring home with me - and now I would much rather ship my coins south to PCGS... at a considerable cost. Generally, I have a rough idea of the grade before I send it off...

                Ironically, I do see blank planchets in Third Party Grading companies holders, with a grade on them.... how can they grade something that has never been struck??
              • Robert Risi
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2 6:06 PM
                  I understand why they grade blanks and planchets. NGC doesn't. PCGS ICG and anacs. ICG and anacs are usually seen just as MS60. Basic UNC grades but PCGS will give 60-65 grades. I assume they grade the surfaces of the planchets with the higher numerical grades going to the planchets with the least amount of contact marks. The more contact marks and or abrasions will get the lower 60-62 grades.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 3 7:48 AM
                    Thanks Rob and Mike. Len R. used to use the term counter skid in his catalogs....