Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] "Damn Dirty Apes"

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2014
      Awesome error.  FYI, the edge lettering in proof dollars is supposed to be generated during the strike by a segmental collar.  So there should be two sets of letters.  It would therefore appear that this proof was struck twice in a smooth-faced collar and then sent through the lettering device reserved for business strikes.  Either that, or the first proof strike was unaccountably inside a smooth-faced collar and the second strike was in a segmented collar with raised letters on its working face.  Very complex.  If you would like it written up for Coin World, let me know.

      In a message dated 7/15/2014 7:53:26 P.M. Central Daylight Time, errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com writes:

      Here's a July 2014 error purchase that reminds me of that scene in 1970's Planet of the Apes. When Charlie H came upon the buried Statue of Liberty. Did he say Damn Dirty Apes then ??? Not sure. But ithis error coin reminds me of that  childhood era movie

      ;^)

      ERROR, USA,2009-S,ZACHARY TAYLOR,FLIPOVER,D-S IN COLLAR,UNIQUE,PROOF 64 DCAM

      I think it arrived  as I thought it was at purchase, it's a one sided light die t rail~ish 1st strike, one die struck due to it's being stacked with anotherplanchet  incollar so other side of this error was 100% unifaced. Then as it is now it was fully struck up as a flipped~over 2nd strike. As a bonus it was then sent thru the dated edge roller thingy to emboss 2009S date.

      Lindy

    • dermestid
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 16, 2014
        Quick question.  Is the first strike definitely a proof strike?  This would make more sense if the first strike was an in-collar uniface business strike and the second strike a proof strike.

        In a message dated 7/16/2014 7:53:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time, errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com writes:

[...]

      • Sullivan Numismatics