Impressive extrusion strike

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 14 2:27 PM

      This 2010 India 5 rupees was struck through a clipped planchet situated between the anvil (obverse) die and the planchet represented by the auction coin.

      INDIA Rs.5 COIN DIE CUD(EXTRA METAL) & ONE SIDE BLANK PLANCHET ERROR,TOP GRADE

      Coin metal bulged into the oval gap formed by the curved clip and the collar, and the apex of the bulge contacted the avnvil die.  This constitutes an extrusion strike.  The coin metal simultaneously withdrew from the hammer die, leaving the reverse face with a conspicuous pucker.

    • stevenamills
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 14 2:43 PM
        Mike, are you aware of a similar error on a US coin? I don't recall ever seeing one.
      • dermestid
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 14 3:30 PM
          I've seen a number of dimes struck through clipped planchets that were blocking the reverse face.  There is a slight weakness on the obverse, but nothing approaching the pucker we see here.  You need a clip of the right side, a planchet of the right thickness, and effective striking pressure of just the right tonnage (not too much and not too little) to get the effect seen on the Indian coin.
        • mrlindy2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 15 6:44 PM
            I cannot seem to quote replies now at yahoo groups, so Steve this is for you.

             I've got a BU USA Clad Dime that was struck incollar thru a 20% curve clip planchet on its reverse. It has awesome looking collar details which are quite obvious due to it's sandwich copper nickel clad metal core.

            Lindy