Who Says No Bargains on Ebay?

  • numismistake
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7 9:13 AM
      I do. Yes, it has become commercialized and awful with many non-error coins listed as I have mentioned in my posts during the last 3 months or so. Others have echoed my sentiments. But once in a while you can get lucky..or at least I think I did.

      While at a BBQ for the 4th of July weekend, I put up a 'protective' $30 snipe on this coin to make sure it wouldn't go for nothing. And surprise, it was not bid on beyond my last minute snipe!

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/1902-DOUBLE-STRUCK-INDIAN-CENT-WITH-INDENT-/281374017922?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=DbFuic67uj9GmTGvBHYesntIBqc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

      $21. It's very worn but has great details, and double struck in collar with rotation. Now I'll reach out a bit here. It's my guess that the 19 of the date was part of the first strike on the edge of an incoming planchet covering the 19, and when the coin rotated in collar about 10 degrees clockwise and was struck again, the freshly brockaged 19 was counterbrockaged into the 2nd strike when the coin rotated(?). The 19 is larger than the date would be, and the 2 from the 1st strike is still there where the C of America on the 2nd strike should be. No new part of the date was otherwise struck into the coin from the 2nd strike.

      Lots of things to consider and question here;
      A rim 'ding' at the 9 of the date. How could that happen and displace the 9 upwards somewhat between consecutive strikes?
      The details are weak but the many pix show a clear rotation and double strike.
      The coin grades about AG.
      The dimple in the neck may be a '1 in neck' misplaced date variety.
      The reverse strike shows only weak evidence of rotation but it is there.

      How right or wrong am I?

    • dermestid
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7 11:13 AM
        I  agree with the seller's description.  It's an in-collar double strike with rotation between strikes and an indent on the second strike.  You got a nice deal on this one.
      • numismistake
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7 1:12 PM
          So I guess the rightful thing to do nowadays is slab it and ask 5-10 times the price for it on eBay.

          Thanks
        • Robert Risi
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 7 1:42 PM
            Not all that true!!

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jul 7, 2014, at 4:12 PM, "numismistake@... [errorcoininformationexchange]" <errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            So I guess the rightful thing to do nowadays is slab it and ask 5-10 times the price for it on eBay.

            Thanks

          • Michael Evanchik

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 11 2:06 PM

                Yeah error coin shoppertunities are tough thesedays.

                But heres a July 2014 goodie, a hole filler I did not have filled that brings me the joy of anticipation. Even though I await its arrival to confirm my hopes & assumptions I thought I'd share:

                WHEAT REVERSE 1¢ FULL BROCKAGE

                I think its an elusive counter brockage & brockage combo.

                ;^)

                Lindy

              • stevenamills
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 11 5:43 PM
                  I wouldn't bet against you, Lindy.

                  Keep us posted.
                • James Zimmerman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 11 6:42 PM
                    I thought it was a clashed cap strike.  Late capped die combined with mid clashed cap.
                  • mrlindy2000
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 11 8:22 PM

                      Well I like Lincoln's big ear detail and his faint eye and cheek in correct orientation for my struck thru a counter brockage die cap guess. The wheat cent rev detail in the actual die cap could have come as clash with reverse die. I see two designs, both obv & rev in this wheat cent. I do not own any die cap strikes with both obv & rev elements present. I own a couple die cap struck brockages with dual reverse designs and a few counterbrockages on US coinage.

                      This coin, with two different die designs is something I needed. If I am wrong then no biggie, as its another lovely error I am happy to hang onto for a decade or two... I think the reverse brockage aspect of this strike is earlier than another similar wheatie I own, so that works too.

                      Lindy

                    • mrlindy2000
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 13 9:11 AM

                        Thanks for the kind words Steve !

                        I think my assumption of this struck thru die cap 1c showing dual brockages: obv counterbrockage & rev brockage combo is correct. Lincoln's big ear is quite detailed and 1 in date is evident are very edge @K5. The reverse is more likely a clash from reverse die due to complete lack of rotation in relation to reverse die. I'd guess there would be one earlier dual die brockage struck before this coin was struck due to complete lack of wheat ears in the expanded brockage.

                         Another lovely error treasure from Fred W for my error collection!

                        ;^)

                        Lindy

                      • dermestid
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 14 5:47 AM
                          I agree that this is a counterbrockage/clashed cap strike, the most common form of the 8 types of brockage-counterbrockage errors.  The ear of Lincoln is elevated relative to where it should be.