Ah, if only it were so...

    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 7:05 AM
      I wish this WERE a genuine "one-sided multi-strike:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3022752925

      Coins with multiple strikes detectable on only one face do exist (see
      the "multiple strikes" album), but they're very rare and they don't
      look like this.

      This coin was apparently struck with a fake die. The haphazard
      positioning of the extra design elements is one clue. The extreme
      weakness of the accessory strikes is another. The flattening of the
      obverse design in several areas is yet another clue. The reverse is
      rough-looking, which is an obvious red flag.

      Genuine "one-sided multi-strikes" occur when the hammer die rotates
      or experiences a misalignment between one strike and the next. It's
      one of my favorite error types. Oddly, they seem to be more common
      in proofs than in business strikes, possibly because all proofs are
      struck at least twice.