An Error in Euro

  • Bat
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2003
      On this Italian's 10 Eurocent I have discovered an error : double border !

      What do you think ?

      Thanks & Regards

      Battista from Italy

      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2003
        Interesting. There are a number of possibilities.

        The most likely explanation is that the circular ridge internal to,
        and paralleling the rim is caused by die fatigue. You find similar
        features developing in our copper-plated zinc cents, although they're
        seldom so narrow, complete, and even throughout.

        Now for some more exotic possibilities.

        1. The collar may have been too wide as a result of improper
        machining or excessive use. Try standing the coin on edge on a
        smooth, flat surface next to a normal 10 cent coin. See if your
        abnormal coin sticks out beyond the edge of the normal coin. An
        abnormally wide collar is a rare error in US coins, but known
        examples sometimes show this "double rim" effect.

        2. A mule (mismatched dies). I am unfamiliar with Euros, so this
        might be complete nonsense. If the Euros all have the same reverse,
        and are differentiated only by obverse design and diameter, then it's
        possible that the obverse die is the wrong one and that this was
        intended to be a larger denomination. Our Washinton
        quarter/Sacagawea dollar mules show a similar internal ridge on the
        obverse surrounding the smaller quarter design. In that mule the
        internal ridge is formed by the coin metal filling the rim gutter in
        the quarter die well inside the boundary created by the collar.
        Mules are incredibly rare and valuable, so I won't hold my breath
        over this possibility.

        There are many causes for incomplete "double rims" on US coins, but
        these are always concentrated on one side of the coin, never forming
        a complete ring. Search the archives under keyword "double rim" for
        more information.

        Let us know what you find out.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Bat"

        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2003
          To expedite matters, I have copied post #2007, taking the opportunity
          to add some other entries.

          <<It's very common to come across error coins, and even ordinary
          coins,
          that appear to have a "double rim". A true double rim is, of course,
          impossible, as there is only a single rim gutter in the die face.
          There is more than one cause for this effect:

          1. Finning. When striking pressure is a bit too high, or one of the
          dies is slightly tilted, metal is forced up into the gap between the
          die neck and the working face of the collar. This is called a "fin"
          or a "finned rim". Anyway, the fin lies outside the true rim and, if
          it is low, appears to constitute an extra rim.

          2. A false rim is sometimes seen in misaligned dies and minor,
          uncentered broadstrikes. Coin metal rises into the rim gutter,
          marking the location of the true rim, but a false rim is created
          lateral to that as metal is pushed against the collar (in the case of
          an in-collar misalignment), or it simply bulges out lateral to the
          true rim line (in the case of an uncentered broadstrike).

          3. In the case of a misalignment, or a coin struck in an oversized
          collar (rare), you sometimes see a pressure ridge internal to what
          looks like the true rim. Neither is a rim in the truest sense. Both
          are pressure ridges created by the die being too far from the working
          face of the collar. The inside pressure ridge marks the location of
          the rim gutter (although it hasn't filled it), and the outside
          pressure ridge marks where metal has piled up against the working
          face of the collar.

          4. Die fatigue. Sometimes in late die states, the working face of
          the die deforms in such a way as to create a false rim internal to
          the true rim. This is best seen in copper-plated zinc cents.

          5. Collar clash. When a die collides with the top of the collar, this
          is known as "collar clash". In denominations with smooth edges, it
          can show up as a "double rim". In denominations with reeded edges,
          the top of the rim will show a characteristic serrated pattern.

          6. Partial collar. If the collar is only partly deployed, then metal
          can expand over the top of the collar, creating a false rim lateral
          to the true rim created by coin metal filling the rim gutter of the
          hammer die.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2003
            I took a second, closer look at your photo. I am now quite confident
            that this is an example of die fatigue. The most peripheral design
            elements ride up onto the inner raised ring. That indicates that the
            die face was distorted. All the other causes I cited require that
            the peripheral design elements lie inside the inner ring.