Re: Horizontal misalignment of anvil (reverse) die

    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2003
      <mdia1@a...> wrote:

      > Now, should both the die AND the collar shift to the side, then you
      > can have much larger misalignments of the anvil die. If you'll
      check
      > the archives you'll see a long discussion between myself and Terry
      > (pwrwgndrvr) on some suspected anvil die misalignments in some
      > Virginia quarters.
      >
      > I have since found some other coins struck out-of-collar with
      > apparent misalignments of the anvil die. The include a 1998
      quarter
      > and a 1999 cent. The misalignments are not as extreme as seen in
      the
      > VA quarters, but are sufficient to establish a pattern.

      By the way, all of these recent examples of broadstruck coins
      misaligned anvil dies were struck in presses with inverted die
      installation -- obverse die as anvil die.

      As Terry pointed out so long ago, it's possible to duplicate the
      appearance of a misaligned anvil die if an off-center coin should be
      situated directly beneath a misaligned hammer die. Then only the
      face struck by the anvil die will appear to be out of alignment.
    • Jon P. Sullivan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2003
        Hi,

        has anyone here ever actually found an unplated lincoln cent in a mint
        sown bag? I am just curious.

        Jon
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2003
          I've never had the patience to search through bags, but I would be
          interested to hear what others have found. About the best find one
          of my local dealers came up with was a 2000 reverse die cap cent. I
          told him to hold onto it until prices rose, which they appear to be
          doing.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Jon P. Sullivan