Horizontal misalignment of anvil (reverse) die

    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2003
      Here's Peace Dollar with a pretty nice misalignment of the anvil
      (reverse) die:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3021124663

      This is about as big as one of these can get if the coin is struck
      within the collar. A misalignment of the anvil die is restrained by
      the collar. I have a 1990 quarter with a reverse misalignment of
      similar magnitude -- the peripheral letters touch the rim/edge bevel
      in my specimen.

      Now, should both the die AND the collar shift to the side, then you
      can have much larger misalignments of the anvil die. If you'll check
      the archives you'll see a long discussion between myself and Terry
      (pwrwgndrvr) on some suspected anvil die misalignments in some
      Virginia quarters.

      I have since found some other coins struck out-of-collar with
      apparent misalignments of the anvil die. The include a 1998 quarter
      and a 1999 cent. The misalignments are not as extreme as seen in the
      VA quarters, but are sufficient to establish a pattern.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2003
        <mdia1@a...> wrote:

        > Now, should both the die AND the collar shift to the side, then you
        > can have much larger misalignments of the anvil die. If you'll
        check
        > the archives you'll see a long discussion between myself and Terry
        > (pwrwgndrvr) on some suspected anvil die misalignments in some
        > Virginia quarters.
        >
        > I have since found some other coins struck out-of-collar with
        > apparent misalignments of the anvil die. The include a 1998
        quarter
        > and a 1999 cent. The misalignments are not as extreme as seen in
        the
        > VA quarters, but are sufficient to establish a pattern.

        By the way, all of these recent examples of broadstruck coins
        misaligned anvil dies were struck in presses with inverted die
        installation -- obverse die as anvil die.

        As Terry pointed out so long ago, it's possible to duplicate the
        appearance of a misaligned anvil die if an off-center coin should be
        situated directly beneath a misaligned hammer die. Then only the
        face struck by the anvil die will appear to be out of alignment.
      • Jon P. Sullivan
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2003
          Hi,

          has anyone here ever actually found an unplated lincoln cent in a mint
          sown bag? I am just curious.

          Jon
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2003
            I've never had the patience to search through bags, but I would be
            interested to hear what others have found. About the best find one
            of my local dealers came up with was a 2000 reverse die cap cent. I
            told him to hold onto it until prices rose, which they appear to be
            doing.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Jon P. Sullivan