interesting strike-thru

    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2003
      Check out this nickel:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3021240545

      I'd wager that it was struck through a thin, split planchet. Or
      perhaps a very large lamination peel. Either way, it's an unusual
      error.
    • rjpike2000
      Message 2 of 8 , May 10, 2003
        I won this nickel and it looks like the strike thru wraps
        around the edge (but not the reverse). Could this indicate
        that the obverse die was the anvil die? Otherwise, how
        would the strike thru get caught between the collar and edge?

        Images of the obverse and edge are here:

        http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rpike1/NickelObverse.jpg

        http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rpike1/NickelEdge.jpg

        Thanks,
        Russ

        <mdia1@a...> wrote:
        > Check out this nickel:
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3021240545
        >
        > I'd wager that it was struck through a thin, split planchet. Or
        > perhaps a very large lamination peel. Either way, it's an unusual
        > error.
      • Rafael Delgado
        Message 3 of 8 , May 10, 2003
          Could this be a lamination peel caused by an
          incomplete punch at the blank producing stage?
          Rafael

          http://search.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 10, 2003
            Wierd. It's possible that the item that the coin was struck through
            was somehow rolled into the edge of the coin during the upsetting
            process. Or perhaps it was folded over onto the edge during the
            planchet's passage through the feeder tube.

            I don't recall many strike-thrus that continue over onto the edge. I
            have to hedge my bets on what this item was. I don't really know if
            it was a large lamination peel. The area of the strike-thru seems to
            show the impressions of striations, which would lend some weight to
            the idea that this was what it was.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, rjpike2000

            Message 5 of 8 , May 10, 2003
              The coin wouldn't have been struck with inverted dies. It's from
              1989, which is three years before the first documented example of
              inverted dies among modern-era US coins.

              Message 6 of 8 , May 10, 2003
                An incomplete punch would show up on both faces.

                This does not look like a split-after-strike lamination peel. The
                ridges in the struck-thru area are too soft and muted for that, in my
                opinion. I also don't see any striations on the edge.

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Delgado
                <my_errors@y...> wrote:
                > Could this be a lamination peel caused by an
                > incomplete punch at the blank producing stage?
                > Rafael
              • rjpike2000
                Message 7 of 8 , May 10, 2003
                  Wouldn't that be the simplest explanation though?

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 11, 2003
                    It's a straightforward explanation, but I can't accept it as a
                    possibility until such time as someone presents convincing evidence
                    that inverted dies were in use this early. I'd need to see a coin
                    dated 1989 or earlier with, say, a reversed partial collar or an off-
                    center strike featuring a collar scar on the obverse.