1982(P) Zn Lg Dt

  • mpara5521
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2014

    I don't see a listing for a DDR for this coin.  Do these pictures show strike doubling?  Or could this be a double die that has not previously been identified?  The dramatic doubling of the last S in states is what caught my eye.  You can see it without magnification.  Any comments appreciated.
  • mpara5521
    Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2014
    Here is another image highlighting the splits on the R of AMERICA.
  • dermestid
    Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2014
      The appearance is consistent with machine doubling.
    • mpara5521
      Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 2014

        That's what my initial thought was as well, but looking more closely at the S, the top part is completely filled at the full width of the doubling.  Wouldn't machine doubling have a cleaner shear plane?  It almost looks like the S was not completely filled during striking, which I guess is a form of machine doubling.  But doesn't it seem like the letters have extra width?  Could this be a case where the die was hubbed twice, first with a hub that had a damaged S, then with a hub that had an intact S?  I didn't see the flaw that the S has on any other letter.  Then there is the split serifs particularly on the R of America.

        Am I way off base here?

      • mpara5521
        Message 5 of 6 , Mar 30, 2014
        Actually, the O of OF shows a similar issue.  See photo.
      • oldsubguru
        Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2014
          Start by reading these two pages.

          In a message dated 4/1/2014 10:41:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mira.para@... writes:

          I guess I still have a lot to learn. What features would distinguish a double die from the machine doubling you see here?