Re: CPG's FS-01-1951D-521 (021.51) [2 Attac...

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 22 7:37 AM
      Sure looks like a die chip to me as well.  This is a common area for die chips to form.

      In a message dated 3/22/2014 9:26:38 A.M. Central Daylight Time, mira.para@... writes:

      CPG identifies this as a misplaced mint mark.  It sure looks like a die chip to me.  CPG says only the discovery piece is known to them.  I found an example in my collection - photo attached.  My example is not an exact match but it looks like the same die at a different state of die deterioration.  I'm using the incomplete upper left corner of the 5 as the common marker.  Please share your opinions.

    • oldsubguru
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 22 9:03 AM
        The dies are different for each coin shown. I do agree that the both seem to be a die chip.

        In a message dated 3/22/2014 10:26:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mira.para@... writes:

        CPG identifies this as a misplaced mint mark.  It sure looks like a die chip to me.  CPG says only the discovery piece is known to them.  I found an example in my collection - photo attached.  My example is not an exact match but it looks like the same die at a different state of die deterioration.  I'm using the incomplete upper left corner of the 5 as the common marker.  Please share your opinions.

      • mpara5521
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 22 9:47 AM
          Oh I see it now.  The tails of the 5's are different.  Plus with the die crack and the chip on the 9, that would make it a later die state but the chip on the 5 is not as advanced as the CPG picture.  Is that right?
        • oldsubguru
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 22 11:01 AM
            If you look at the mintmark position, it is different on both coins. That is what I went by.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 22 6:14 PM
              Ahh.  Good eye.