2013-P Nickel

  • mpara5521
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2014
    Hello all. Just joined the group today.  I am somewhat of a novice still.  I've been collecting coins for only about a year but just started looking at error coins.  Lately I've been doing coin roll hunting by the box from my local bank.

    In a box of new 2013-P nickels, I identified about 10 different die pairings.  Most were pretty normal looking.  Three had different types of die chips that weren't very notable.  Although 1 pairing had anywhere from 0 to 4 die chips starting in the earlier stages with the space between the upper strokes and the lower stroke of the "e" in "Liberty" on the obverse then the center of the "O" in "MONTICELLO" on the reverse, then finally below the "E" in "CENTS" on the reverse.  I assumed all of these are of little value.

    The most interesting pairing is shown in the attached images.  Forgive my poor photography skills.  Is this a double-die? There is obvious die fatigue presenting around the letters of Liberty and the Date. However, I was curious about the sharper edge showing to the left of the up strokes of "b" and "e" of Liberty. This doubling is identical on every specimen I have found so far. Would that rule out strike doubling?

    I was also curious if anyone has found any of the earlier die state specimens of the pairing? The mark between the 2 and 0 in the date is constant on all specimens that I have found.

    The reverse shows die chips along the right exterior building wall and a crack in the foundation. It gives the appearance of a crumbling parapet wall. With the crack through the steps/foundation, it looks like the building is about to collapse.

    I appreciate your comments / suggestions / constructive criticism.
  • mpara5521
    Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2014
    Here are some perspective shots that I made attempting to capture the secondary image.
  • colonial_john_c4
    Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2014
      There will be somebody coming shortly but you do have all the qualifications for a well rounded collector/researcher. Keep plugging ... I am just a lurker here on this channel ...

      John Lorenzo
      United States
    • mpara5521
      Message 4 of 6 , Mar 21, 2014

        John:

        Thanks for the kind words.  Though, I think your standards might be a little low.  Like Groucho Marx once said - I would never aspire to join a club that would have someone like me as a member.

      • dermestid
        Message 5 of 6 , Mar 21, 2014
          The advanced state of die wear makes it difficult to characterize this very subtle doubling.  I suspect it's die deterioration doubling or machine doubling instead of a doubled die.
        • mpara5521
          Message 6 of 6 , Mar 21, 2014
            I think I can rule out strike doubling by the number of specimens that I have found.  Every one with identical doubling.  There is definitely some die deterioration, and I agree with that assessment for the fuzzier doubling that extends further out from the lettering.  I'll try to increase the magnification on the sharper edge doubling and post some more pics.  I think the key will be to find some examples from an earlier die state.