Full strike on an underweight planchet -- possibilities

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2003
      I kinda wish I had bid more for this one:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&category=524&item=3018640790

      This coin reportedly only weighs 2.2 grams. A full strike on a
      planchet this light is rather unusual. It may simply be a thin
      planchet struck by dies with an unusually close minimum distance.
      I've seen this before.

      Alternatively, the planchet might not be that thin, but might have an
      abnormally low density. That would be much more interesting. You'd
      need to conduct a specific gravity test to see exactly what's going
      on.