RE: Counterfeit double struck 1943 Lincoln cent

  • oldsubguru
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 17, 2014
      Would you buy this coin?

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/1943-O-C-DOUBLE-STRUCK-STEEL-PENNY-ERROR-COIN-/161246911412

    • Robert Risi
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 17, 2014
        What an ugly unattractive coin. Real or fake. UGLY !!!

        Sent from my iPhone

      • fred_weinberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 17, 2014
          That's the one I was talking about last
          Thursday....saw it in-hand in Atlanta;
          it's counterfeit......,,
        • wgfulton
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 18, 2014

            Fred,

            Could you elaborate a little on why this particular coin is counterfeit?  Thx.

          • fred_weinberg
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 18, 2014
              Hard to see in the photos, and
              the coin is rusted/corroded, but
              the coin is 'mushy' - the strike
              elements are not sharp like those
              on a normal cent, steel or copper.

              There are also 'pit' marks on the
              fields, although difficult to see thru
              the rust, etc.......

            • oldsubguru
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 18, 2014
                Hey Fred,
                                  Can I pass this information on to the people over in LCR?

                Thanks
                BJ

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 18, 2014
                  BJ - Sure