Uniface broadstrike

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2014
      This cupped cent has a featureless reverse, according to the seller:

      It's most likely a uniface broadstrike, although the cupping probably persuaded the top bidders that it is a uniface die cap.
    • fred_weinberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2014
        Yes, I saw that piece, and agree it's a nice cupped broad strike
        (w/uniface reverse).....and also realized that some bidders would
        see the deep cupping and assume it was a Die Cap................

        Someone will  (probably) be disappointed if they submit it to any of the
        four TPG's.......
      • dermestid
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 14, 2014
          Actually, based on the propensity for many grading services to classify any coin with cupping as a die cap, there's a good chance that that's how it will be labeled.  Obviously, if it goes through your hands, the outcome will be different.

          In a message dated 3/14/2014 2:28:09 P.M. Central Daylight Time, fred@... writes:

          Yes, I saw that piece, and agree it's a nice cupped broad strike

          (w/uniface reverse).....and also realized that some bidders would
          see the deep cupping and assume it was a Die Cap................

          Someone will  (probably) be disappointed if they submit it to any of the
          four TPG's.......

        • sherwood_park_pennies
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 15, 2014
            "Obviously, if it goes through your hands, the outcome will be different."

            Interesting comment. I am just curious, as I am someone who regularly submits errors to PCGS.... Does PCGS regularly consult you Fred, for opinions on errors?? I just submitted a batch a month ago, of some pretty eye-popping Canadian 5-cent errors (including a 1943 5-cent struck on a NFLD silver 10-cent planchet)... and I always wondered who PCGS consulted...
          • sherwood_park_pennies
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 23, 2014
              I just submitted a large batch of errors to PCGS (70+ Canadian coins)... now to impatiently await for the results....

              I'll post photos when I get them back...
            • dermestid
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 23, 2014
                Looking forward to it.